What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HB Fizzy Yellow Beer
30DC25B9-E9A1-4255-9C3F-5B7617E53F1C.jpeg

Today I tasted my latest attempt at a Sierra Nevada clone. This is the 4th attempt at replicating this beer, and it is the one beer that continues to elude me, batch after endless batch!

Today we are getting close to the target, but not there yet. The Sierra Nevada has a slightly more "carmelly" taste and is sweeter than the clone. It is also redder, in color which both might account for the amount of C-60 in the clone recipe. I will up that next time to correct for color and sweetness. I mashed this one at 155F, not sure I want to go higher, I think maybe additional C-60 might correct this.

Cascade flavor hops I think are stronger on the original, so I will up those as well. This uses a 3-day dry hop charge of Cascade, I think the aroma hops are about equal, so I'll stick with what I'm doing on the back end.

I've been substituting Hornindal Kviek once again on hoppy US05/WLP001/WY1056 hoppy beers and IPA, and I did the same here. There are no off-flavors on this batch whatsoever, but it came out just a bit cleaner and drier than the sweeter and stickier Sierra Nevada.

Carbonation levels on the clone are a bit higher, I'll back that off on the next batch. Head and lacing are right-on. This isn't "exactly" Sierra yet, but a pretty good APA. I'll keep recalibrating until I get this one right!
IMG_0878.jpg
IMG_0880.jpg

Last edited:
HB Mild. Observing me lighting the first yard campfire of the season, toddler says "I hope you brought the s'mores." He's packed a lot of wisdom into his three short years.

View attachment 730859
Wife and (almost) 12 year old wanted the same, so a fire must be made. Only 80s for the last day of May...why not
20210531_175537.jpg

How was it? I like German wheat beers. I haven't tried
Really good! I like German wheats a ton as well. Most clove, less banana and went down super easily. My local place (August Schells) does a Hefeweizen every summer and I’ve yet to find one that tops it, in my opinion. It has an extra layer of something in their yeast that just works perfectly.

ED33D763-333D-4CEA-A150-B9C9EFC9E87E.jpeg

BBB 2021 Star Gazer DIPA. Missed my numbers and came out slightly drier than expected? Guessing due to the extra sugar I threw in there to get extra gravity points.

Been going quick though! Thinking I’ll probably brew again and have some pilsen DME on hand JIC.

Back