What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nice. How is it?

Both the 2000 Bigfoot and 2002 Old Guardian had lost a bit of carbonation. The Bigfoot held up a little better, very good except for a bit of soy sauce in the flavor. The Old Guardian had a fair amount of papery cardboard going on. My friend/former boss who gave em to me stored em steady at room temp for years, so I'm not shocked in either case. Both were very good though, although the bottle of 09 (I think) Old Guardian he shared with me last year was in much better shape, so I think that one was just past its prime.

Both the 2000 Bigfoot and 2002 Old Guardian had lost a bit of carbonation. The Bigfoot held up a little better, very good except for a bit of soy sauce in the flavor. The Old Guardian had a fair amount of papery cardboard going on. My friend/former boss who gave em to me stored em steady at room temp for years, so I'm not shocked in either case. Both were very good though, although the bottle of 09 (I think) Old Guardian he shared with me last year was in much better shape, so I think that one was just past its prime.

A little oxidation kicking in maybe for the old guardaian. Still amazing how beers hold up

A little oxidation kicking in maybe for the old guardaian. Still amazing how beers hold up

Oh, it's oxidation on both accounts, the soy sauce and the cardboard. One is just a bit more graceful than the other. But given the age of these beers, how little oxidation was present really speaks to their quality.

I have been researching this very topic and have decided for my next brew I am going to brew a 100% brett fermented ipa with white labs brett brux trois. I plan to implement a few Strategies to combat the brett from drying out the beer too much. A higher than normal mash temp, wheat and carapils in the grist and a big starter so that the beer will finish in a "normal" amount of time say 3-4 weeks. I also intend to dry hop the hell out of this beer. I am brewing this in 2 weeks and will get my starter on my stir plate soon since brett grows more slowly than saccharomyces cerevisiae.

Sweet will be keeping an eye out for a thread on progress

nice. How is it?

Whish one is that? Lol must of been the one dry hoped with motueka. Still learning to carb brett. It is a slow creeper. Things of homebrew. I did not add too much suvar but oh well. If you enjoyed it that is all that matters. Hope you will like the sour stout when every you get to it

It was the motueka one. I don't recall a sour stout. I'm going to look. It was very good. I think I shook the bottle looking at it so it gushed. I believe it is entirely my fault.

Water.

Somebody posted a pic of Gandhi bot glasses selling for $25 on eBay last night. It's gotten worse.
View attachment 251136
I thought it was a crime to list them like that, but people are bidding them up. Unbelievable.

@finsfan

Glad I still have mine. I had a panic attack thinking I gave it away in a bMAW. :)

Coffee. State route behind the house is closed because someone slid into a ditch. Cooking sausage and eggs and hoping the birthday party my son is supposed to go to this afternoon gets postponed.

Somebody posted a pic of Gandhi bot glasses selling for $25 on eBay last night. It's gotten worse.
View attachment 251136
I thought it was a crime to list them like that, but people are bidding them up. Unbelievable.

@finsfan

I was at the brewery last night to fill a growler of Gandhi and a growler of fat ten er 14, they didn't have any glasses

I was at the brewery last night to fill a growler of Gandhi and a growler of fat ten er 14, they didn't have any glasses

Yup. :-( I actually wanted one beforehand but then figured I better snag one now. I'm SOL though. I'll live.

Water. Soon to be coffee.

What happened? Woke up on the couch with a blanket haphazardly thrown on me.

Gonna finish this cappuccino stout that I didn't make it through and go buy some propane.

Good morning.

Figures. Came home to a broken furnace and ice cold house. Krausen not dropping on my Hefe. Think I need to warm her up somehow.

Figures. Came home to a broken furnace and ice cold house. Krausen not dropping on my Hefe. Think I need to warm her up somehow.

Best get that fixed soon! At least if you're renting you don't have to pay for it. Mine crapped out right before Christmas, but since it's our house it was like $700. That was rough.

Coffee. Gotta start getting ready for the day.

Best get that fixed soon! At least if you're renting you don't have to pay for it. Mine crapped out right before Christmas, but since it's our house it was like $700. That was rough.

Coffee. Gotta start getting ready for the day.

Gotta run down to electronics store to get new heat coil. Hopefully that's the issue.

More worried about my Hefe being cold now lol.

Has your research shown that Brett trios might not be Brett at all? I read that a couple weeks ago, but it wasn't settled, wondering what the current consensus is...

I just read the entire hophands clone thread and all the info in the thread as it related to brett trois is hey parenthetical "it may not be brett afterall" with no other infomation. I may shoot the guy a PM and see how he came to that conclusion.

I only had 10 notifications this morning you fools! Some of you arrogant bastards STILL dont understand the linking concept! I will be hosting a "Linking Usernames Correctly Because Im not a F***ing Moron 101" class this afternoon. PM me to get your name on the list.

Water. :D

Gotta run down to electronics store to get new heat coil. Hopefully that's the issue.

More worried about my Hefe being cold now lol.

This is where you get no banana or clove from the yeast for not fermenting hot enough haha. D'oh!
This is when your wife finds all of blankets on the fermenter while you sit in 20 layers of clothes hahaha

It was the motueka one. I don't recall a sour stout. I'm going to look. It was very good. I think I shook the bottle looking at it so it gushed. I believe it is entirely my fault.

Water.

You are not the only one. I ope ed one last night and did the same thing. In the glass it does not foam up but the bottle it does. Weird

That's the newer-style glass with the colored mustache. :p

More Coff. It's brew day.
View attachment 251137

I'm quite happy with the one I have!

I just read the entire hophands clone thread and all the info in the thread as it related to brett trois is hey parenthetical "it may not be brett afterall" with no other infomation. I may shoot the guy a PM and see how he came to that conclusion.

I'm pretty sure they use the house ale yeast in hophands and not Brett. That wouldbe the handfarm.

I only had 10 notifications this morning you fools! Some of you arrogant bastards STILL dont understand the linking concept! I will be hosting a "Linking Usernames Correctly Because Im not a F***ing Moron 101" class this afternoon. PM me to get your name on the list.

Water. :D

Roger. Be sure to let me know the details as they become available, okay @finsfan ?

@PatrickGoss - are you signing up for the @finsfan quoting class or are you still sleeping it off?

Is that enough for now@finsfan ?

Going for extra credit, eh? Nobody likes a brown noser. :D

Class Lesson #2: The HBT website only sends one notification no matter how many times you link someone in a single post. A great feature for those who have to deal with drunk maniacal a$$holes. :D

@PatrickGoss - are you signing up for the @finsfan quoting class or are you still sleeping it off?

Is that enough for now@finsfan ?

I got a full 8 hours @mcbaumannerb but am up and trying to get some cleaning done before brewing some more chuggable beer for @finsfan to suggest I drink too fast.

Going for extra credit, eh? Nobody likes a brown noser. :D

Class Lesson #2: The HBT website only sends one notification no matter how many times you link someone in a single post. A great feature for those who have to deal with drunk maniacal a$$holes. :D

@drunkmaniacala$$holes did you hear what @finsfan said about you?

Latest posts

Back