What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have been on a stout kick lately and to my surprise i found Three Floyd's Moloko milk stout at a local wine shop. I swear these boys don't disappoint, except for "DEESKO". Sour beer is definitely not my thing.
Stuff pours a thick blackish brown, nice caramel head. Great malty flavors. Definitely buying the rest they had tomorrow.

If anyone has a great stout recipe (still on extract unfortunately) they're willing to share give me a shout. Need to brew one.

image-653515471.jpg

My first full glass of my homebrewed Oatmeal Cookie Ale. It is still a little bit green, after only three weeks or so, but this recipe is very close to perfect. It just needs minor tweaking... a little more caramel and vanilla, perhaps a touch less cinnamon...

Normally I detest spiced beers, but the very notion of an Oatmeal Cookie Ale was too intriguing to pass up.

And not liking most spiced beers, I could slot this one in as my standard Christmas beer since I really don't think I could make anything closer to a spiced Xmas ale that would be as enjoyable to me. Or... Maybe I could work on a series... Try to make a few more. A Buckeye (chocolate and peanut butter) stout. A Gingerbread porter. Oatmeal Cookie Ale, etc. Hmmm... maybe if I could trap some DMS, I could even make a butter cookie pale ale!!!

Now I've got me thinking. Other people bring plates of cookies, I could bring kegs of cookie beer.

My first full glass of my homebrewed Oatmeal Cookie Ale. It is still a little bit green, after only three weeks or so, but this recipe is very close to perfect. It just needs minor tweaking... a little more caramel and vanilla, perhaps a touch less cinnamon...

Normally I detest spiced beers, but the very notion of an Oatmeal Cookie Ale was too intriguing to pass up.

And not liking most spiced beers, I could slot this one in as my standard Christmas beer since I really don't think I could make anything closer to a spiced Xmas ale that would be as enjoyable to me. Or... Maybe I could work on a series... Try to make a few more. A Buckeye (chocolate and peanut butter) stout. A Gingerbread porter. Oatmeal Cookie Ale, etc. Hmmm... maybe if I could trap some DMS, I could even make a butter cookie pale ale!!!

Now I've got me thinking. Other people bring plates of cookies, I could bring kegs of cookie beer.

I would be very interested in your recipe. I have always had the idea to try to pursue a recipe for this but have never been able to experiment with it.

I am sipping on (what will be) my house stout. The first time I made this recipe, I oaked it. Before oaking I thought, dang that is the tastiest thing that has ever tickled my taste buds. I made it again without oaking and it is a great stout.

Certainly a landmark beer tasting evening for me. A couple of brew buddies of mine and I had our got together with our spouses and had a Belgian beer dinner. I'll recount the beer and food pairings. Before I arrived, a bottle of Brother David Double from Anderson Valley Brewery was quaffed. Consensus was it had too much residual sugar and tasted a bit like prune juice. I was a little more favorable but still, not a favorite. We then started with various pickled vegetables (radishes, carrots, brussels sprouts, beets) with fresh baked bread, both of which were outstanding, paired with hoppy Belgian Mischief from The Bruery and Devotion from Lost Abbey. Both excellent but Mischief was a real standout among the hop heads in attendance. Next up was steamed mussels in a garlic butter sauce (a recipe from French Laundry) and frite (fries) paired with Duchess de Bourgogne Flemish Red and Red Poppy from Lost Abbey. It seems I am the only fan of sours and I liked both but preferred the Red Poppy due to the lack of sweetness and the presence of funk. Neither was a big hit but the mussels were amazing. Then came a green salad with a horseradish lemon dressing paired with a Lost Abbey Red Barn Saison. Both were huge hits with most of us. The main course (believe it or not, we still had a main course) was chicken waterzooi, a belgian chicken stew with vegetables and a cream and wine sauce. That was paired with my homemade belgian dark strong ale, carbonated fresh out of the fermenter, and Duvel. I was very pleased with my very young dark strong ale, despite the need for mellowing and melding of the near 12% ABV and the Duvel was great, as always. Finally, dessert was Belgian waffles with whipped cream and berries paired with a Haansens Artisinal Oude Kriek and La Choufette Framboise. I was a huge fan of the oude kriek with its mouth puckering sourness, ripe cherry, and barnyard funk. I got that to myself as others preferred the Framboise which was sweet and fruity without the funk. All and all, an outstanding dinner with an amazing selection of beer. Nice thing is the dregs of the kriek and flemish reds will be a great addition to my fermenting sour.

I would be very interested in your recipe. I have always had the idea to try to pursue a recipe for this but have never been able to experiment with it.

Here's roughly what I did. I used very old malt though, so I adjusted the recipe for normal 75% efficiency, also have added a half pound of sugar to up the caramel notes and added another half pound of oats for texture. I will taste it more later, but I suspect these changes, included below, is close to how I would to brew it next time. Maybe play with the hops a bit... could use more aroma, actually and another 5-10 IBU's wouldn't hurt. I'd want a bit more of a "spicy floral" nose to the beer to really balance out the sweetness.

6 lbs Maris Otter
2 lb Crystal 40
1.5 lb Flaked Oats
.75 lb Chocolate Malt

1oz Strisselspalt FWH
1oz Saaz @ 60
1oz Strisselspalt @ 20
1/2oz Strisselspalt @ 12
1/2oz Strisselspalt @ 7

1.5 lb sugar, carmelized @ 60
2 tsp ground cinnamon @ 0
2 tsp ground cinnamon @ secondary (sanitized in a small quantity of boiling water)
1.5 Tbsp Vanilla Extract (real, not imitation).

Windsor yeast

OG 1.060
FG 1.019
ABV 5.3%
25 IBU

Shiner Octoberfest.... wow. its beers like this that will eventually get more people to drink micro brew. Its just a good.

Just finished a bottle of Stone's 16's Aniversary IPA, and wow, what a great blend! Not a fan of rye beers at all bit this one had a light amount blended with a fruitly taste, sweet alcohol bite, covered with a refreshing taste of Amarillo and calypso. Great beer, but a little too pricey at $7 a bottle for me to get again.

I'm drinking my Russian Imperial Stout, which I call Kommissar Murphy. I've enjoyed it, thus far, and I have quite a lot left to drink. More beer than bottles, I'm afraid. It made for a very tense night of bottling, where I ended up soaked, and I didn't spill a drop.

Churchkey Can Co. Pilsner Style Beer.

It comes in an old style can and required a churchkey to open. I have several churchkeys but the package came with one as well so I guess I'll throw it on the pile.

I like the beer but I don't like it the $10 it cost. I'll buy better beer for cheaper next time. The cans sure are a novelty though.

Midnight Sun Brewing Co's Arctic Rhino- a coffee porter--my first ever coffee porter--I'm hooked, I'm going over to the recipe section right now to see who's got one......been drinking beer for 16 years and never tried one. Why??? I dunno....

I've been double fisted tonight. :mug:
just cracked open a 5 month old Samuel Smiths oatmeal stout clone and a 2 year old 17% huckleberry Melomel.

Labor day weekend BBQ is fast a approaching and you cant bring anything that's untested. What would the neighbors think?:)

Currently quaffing a Founders Centennial IPA and I've also got a Stone Old Guardian waiting on me. I bought two, one to try tonight and another to age for an indefinite amount of time, at least a year, though.

Back