What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those with barrels, any reason to pick American oak over French oak? I am leaning towards french even though they are more expensive.

Very different wood flavors. French is fuller and deeper, but you will get more oak punch out of American. I use Hungarian myself, more vanilla tannins I find.

For those with barrels, any reason to pick American oak over French oak? I am leaning towards french even though they are more expensive.

It all depends on what you are after. Do you want a bold, innovative, refined, awe inspiring, unrivaled, amazing beer.... Or a French one?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Very different wood flavors. French is fuller and deeper, but you will get more oak punch out of American. I use Hungarian myself, more vanilla tannins I find.

At this point, I dont really know what I want out of the barrel. I am planning to buy new and age a RIS, quad, porter or something of the like for the first 3-4 runs. Then switch to sour beers. The main reason I want it is for sours, but wont be upset barrel aging clean beers in it to start either.

It all depends on what you are after. Do you want a bold, innovative, refined, awe inspiring, unrivaled, amazing beer.... Or a French one?

\

Haha thanks for the unbiased answer :drunk:

At this point, I dont really know what I want out of the barrel. I am planning to buy new and age a RIS, quad, porter or something of the like for the first 3-4 runs. Then switch to sour beers. The main reason I want it is for sours, but wont be upset barrel aging clean beers in it to start either.

\

Try a sample using cubes, not chips, in gallon carboy and see which you prefer. I could send you a bottle of my stout on Hungarian if you want a sample

What size you looking at Fins?

Felt like something different, show mead, one of the first I made, not bad,

IMG_5252.jpg

Try a sample using cubes, not chips, in gallon carboy and see which you prefer. I could send you a bottle of my stout on Hungarian if you want a sample

My biggest thing is trying to source it. Preferably i want a 7.5 gallon barrel and french, no matter the size, seem to be easier to find. I'm not opposed to a taste test. :D

\

Unbiased... That's what I am known for. Glad I could help.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416882227.334094.jpg

Bells Kalamazoo stout. Pretty sure this one was aged in stainless steel but it's still pretty good.

Mixed fruit blonde and watching football. 7:45-8:00 conference didn't start until 8:20 and got out at 8:45.
At least my kids are doing well and are loved by many teachers. :)

It was a serious thank you. You didn't have to give me anything else and you didn't know it was infected.

It wasnt at the time lol. It was an enjoyable infection. I found out a month ago it was going south. Got one more to see where it goes.They know it now.

We need to do a little trade soon.

A beer called Champurrado Stout brewed by @BUCKNUTS and it is quite delicious. Thanks for sharing. Also, Winter Wonder Ale from @Hello which is also a very nice beer. I had it last year and it is still quite good. Maybe just a little oxidation, but it's not very noticeable.

CameraZOOM-20141124203944426.jpg

CameraZOOM-20141124212304320.jpg

A beer called Champurrado Stout brewed by @BUCKNUTS and it is quite delicious. Thanks for sharing. Also, Winter Wonder Ale from @Hello which is also a very nice beer. I had it last year and it is still quite good. Maybe just a little oxidation, but it's not very noticeable.

Looks a bit over carbonated. I hate bottling

Independence TEN anniversary barleywine. Holy **** this is smooth. It's almost a mix of an IIPA and a barleywine, but with 10%!

Looks a bit over carbonated. I hate bottling

Eh... a bit, but not enough to get much in the way of the flavor. I did pour a bit vigorously. Now I am having your RIS, which is a very good brew. A bit oxidized, which is OK for the style, especially after extended aging. IIRC, it's almost a year old, so that's not unexpected.

CameraZOOM-20141124221101491.jpg

Eh... a bit, but not enough to get much in the way of the flavor. I did pour a bit vigorously. Now I am having your RIS, which is a very good brew. A bit oxidized, which is OK for the style, especially after extended aging. IIRC, it's almost a year old, so that's not unexpected.

I bottled the RIS May/2013

Rambler IPA and some protests...
Working from home tomorrow because if this ****.

View attachment 238058

I deal with **** tons of melting snow, you deal with that. Life can be so exciting.:rolleyes:
I never got the whole riot thing. I'm sure @Billy-Klubb would be able to fill the rest of us in on why one would chose to riot and loot.;)

Another mixed fruit blonde.

I have been keeping my eyes open for it. Didn't have it at the liq last night

I have seen it sold out already at some places so maybe the first shipment went quickly. They have made even more this year than they did last year so Im sure you will find it soon.

Not at all. I am in an odd mood today. I should likely be ignored. This is sound advice on other days as well, but today in particular.
View attachment 238069

Nightcap.. Maybe.

Haha just messin with you. STay out of the cellar!

My cellar is nothing to write home about but it got raided. Lol. I was not a big fan of ten fidy the first time I had it... So much not a fan that I left a can of it on the shelf until it was the last thing there... I guess it's the one beer I have aged and I liked it. When the beer store in fishers marked it down from $15 to $9 because (this is 6 months old) I decided to try again. It's good!

Back