What are the different hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentl1jb

Reaction score
I had a recipe that said to add bittering and flavor hops. The kit came with centennial and a couple other types and I had no idea what hops were the flavoring And what were the flavor hops

Do the instructions/recipe give you a hop schedule telling you when to add which hops? If so, the early (full boil time) additions are for bittering and the later ones are for flavor. If you don't have that info, let us know what hop varieties (and other ingredients) you have and what style of beer you're making and I'm sure folks on here can advise you on how to use what you have to achieve what you're after.

Adding hops early in the boil releases and isomerizes alpha acids, which makes the beer bitter. Since they have been boiled so long, they have very little flavor or aroma. Later in the boil, the acids cannot isomerize, so they don't impart bitterness, only flavor. At the end of the boil, the acids aren't release, only aroma. That's my understanding anyway.

The directions should have told you which was used for what. If so, add bittering when you begin the boil with 60 min remaining, flavor with 20 min remaining, and aroma at flameout or a minute before.

Back