what are the best carboy cleaners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluebird

Reaction score
I am looking at the carboy cleaner, carboy scrubber and carboy mop. Any suggestions on which work best. Thank you

I have a Mark II Keg and Carboy washer. I don't scrub anymore I do a couple of quick rinses and then fill this with water and add pbw and 20 minutes later my carboy is sparkling. If the pump goes out you can grab them online for 15-$20. This thing does kegs and buckets too. I've had this item going on 3 or 4 years now.

Brew on!

Edit: Also, welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
The Mark II mentioned here is good, but it won’t work for stuck-on crap IME. For krausen rings and such, I use the Clean Bottle Express. It’s a rod with chamois brushes at the end. You stick it on a drill and go to town on your carboy, kegs, whatever.

The Mark II mentioned here is good, but it won’t work for stuck-on crap IME. For krausen rings and such, I use the Clean Bottle Express. It’s a rod with chamois brushes at the end. You stick it on a drill and go to town on your carboy, kegs, whatever.
In my experience the Mark II removes the Krausen ring with ease as long as a little pbw is used I literally haven't used a carboy brush in years. I also clean the carboy right after I bottle and don't let it sit either.

That clean bottle express chamois brush on a drill sounds like it works well though.

Last edited:
Glass or plastic carboys?

If plastic, you can't use a brush, there's a good chance they'll get scratched if you do.

Some instructions suggest adding a soft rag inside the (plastic) carboy and keep swirling with your PBW solution, it gives just the right amount of friction, without scratching.
But an overnight (or longer) soak with some Washing Soda, Oxiclean, or homemade PBW usually cleans most crud off.

Don't use very hot water with plastic either, they'll shrink. Tepid is about the max.

Back