What Are Some Bubblegum Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coryforsenate

Reaction score
Yes, some consider it a flaw, but I really like a bubblegum flavor in my dark strongs and quads, such as harpoon leviathan quadrupel.

What are some good yeasts that really accentuate that bubblegum flavor and aroma?

I would try Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale or Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes.

It's been awhile since I've used 1388, and I use it at lower temps, but at higher temps (75+) you may get what you're looking for.

Belgian Ardennes is one of my favorite yeasts to use with belgian beers. It's a little more subtle, and may not give you a complex bubble gum flavor like you're wanting, but it's a great yeast.

Even if you get a good flavor going, bubble gum is an off flavor and will eventually fade. Unless you drink them fast...of course.

I pitched some US-05 a tad too hot and got some clove/bubble gum flavors....

Long story short, my IPA turned into a Belgian....tastes great actually! I guess there are worse things in the world.

ECY11 at 74 will produce very strong bubble gum. I have a wit and wiess that taste like Double Bubble

I've personally never had wlp-400 give any bubblegum, at any temp. Would actually be nice if it did. After a lot of trying, I realized that I just don't really love that particular yeast for wits. If anything, I find it too clean, if that makes any sense. How is the 410? I haven't tried that one yet.

3787 (is that the trappist high gravity?) has hints of bubblegum - especially at warmer temps, although I find that it also gets pretty banana-y at warmer temps as well. It's a beast of a yeast.

Back