What Additions to Simple Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeart

TwoHeart
Reaction score
Getting the Simply Beer Brown Ale extract kit from Midwest. What can I do to make it better?

- 0.25 lbs Special B
- 0.25 lbs Chocolate Malt

- 6 lbs Gold malt syrup

- 1 oz Willamette (60 min)

- Safale S-04 Ale Yeast.

I was thinking of adding a lb of dark DME, .5lb of coffee malt for steeping, and 4oz maltodextrin.

.5 lb victory/biscuit malt. That will give it more substance as a Nut Brown.

Thanks for the recommendation :mug:... I should probably add another ounce of Willamette or Fuggles as well. IBUs with just the 1 oz of Willamette are sitting at 17 according to Brewtoad.

I did this kit with fuggles and it turned out ok but I wan't thrilled.

I did this kit again with an additional .75 lb of special b and wllamette: 1.5 oz @ 60, 1.25oz @ 15, and 1.25 oz at 5. Also, a cup and a half cane sugar at 15 min.

I was going for something like Abita Turbodog clone I got from ahs. Not it. But at just over a week in the bottle it tastes great. It's nice and malty, smooth, light caramel, subtle chocolate. Glad I kept a record, I will do this again.
Maybe cut some of the sugar.

If you add the other hops, which I think is a good idea to add some, I'd add 1/2 oz to the boil and 1/2 oz at 15. You don't want it in the 34 ibu range by adding all hops at the boil. I do my nut Browns 1.5 oz boil and .5 oz at 15. NO dry hopping on this style; it buries the nutty flavor.

I appreciate the input. This is what I have decided to do. I'll let you know how it turns out.

- 0.25 lbs Special B
- 0.25 lbs Chocolate Malt
- 0.5 lbs Victory

- 6 lbs Gold LME
- 1 lb Dark DME

- 1.5 oz Willamette (60 min)
- 0.5 oz Willamette (15 min)

- 4 oz Maltodextrin (15 min)
- 5 cups brewed coffee (KO)

- Safale S-04 Ale Yeast

- 5% ABV
- 32 IBU