Weyermann pale rye malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a 10 pound bag of it today at the LHBS for $4.50. It was tough not to buy 10 bags at that price. What's the best use for it? A rye pale ale, something like 50% 2-row, 45% rye, and 5% CaraRye, with Saaz hops?

could always go for something "the spice of three crops", use some rice to lighten the barley's sweetness and bring out the rye more.....

I'm just about to brew a funky Rye Saison with honey.

65% Pils
25% Rye malt
02% Midnight wheat
08% Thyme Honey

39 IBUs of EKG

Yeast: Mad Fermentationists Saison blend. Hoping for it to be on tap just in time for Halloween!

Roggenbier! 50% rye, 50% Vienna, maybe a touch of chocolate or Carafa III. Tettnang. WLP300 or WY3068.

I think that's the right answer! I'm looking at Roggen recipes on AHBA and the ones I've seen call for a lot of dark crystal malt. And one of those mashed really high (165). Just imagining how it will taste, I think I like yours better, but maybe a little crystal? But then a low temperature mash to dry it back out a little.

As far as whether a protein mash is appropriate, I guess I should taste some of the raw rye to see how friable it is? If it chews easily, it is well modified and doesn't need a protein rest.

What you'll need with rye is a beta-glucan rest. Even with one expect a stuck sparge with such a high percentage of rye.
All modern malt is well-modified so no need to worry about that.

I think that's the right answer! I'm looking at Roggen recipes on AHBA and the ones I've seen call for a lot of dark crystal malt. And one of those mashed really high (165). Just imagining how it will taste, I think I like yours better, but maybe a little crystal? But then a low temperature mash to dry it back out a little.

I can't even recall how I arrived at that recipe -- I think I just made a hefe or dunkelweizen recipe with rye instead of wheat. It comes out really well, but I've never had a commercial roggen, so I can't speak for authenticity. I'm sure there's room for improvement, maybe in the form of crystal of some sort.

I had the same idea. I'm looking at Dunkelweizen recipes now. (there are quite a few of those) Replace the wheat malt with rye and you should have a Roggenbier.

Edit: Here's my work-in-progress recipe. I think the gravity is a little too high. OTOH, the grist may hold onto a lot more wort than normal and I might have to top off the fermentor with more water. The "top off" is to dilute the mash so the bag drains better and so I don't have to do a dunk sparge. I don't just do a full-volume mash because my water is extremely hard and I don't want to acidify that much. As is, I will have to add a little bit of phosphoric or lactic acid to the mash even with the acid malt.
Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Roggenbier
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 4 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.049
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 6.22%
IBU (tinseth): 21.55
SRM (morey): 14.79
Mash pH: 5.58

FERMENTABLES:
5 lb - Rye Malt (54.4%)
2.5 lb - Vienna (27.2%)
1.25 lb - Abbey Malt (13.6%)
4 oz - Special B (2.7%)
1 oz - Midnight Wheat Malt (0.7%)
2 oz - Acidulated Malt (1.4%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Hallertau Tradition (Germany), Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 21.55

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 122 F, Time: 20 min, Amount: 4 gal, Protein rest
2) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min
3) Top Off, Time: 10 min, Amount: 1.5 gal, Hot dechlor'd tap water

YEAST:
Wyeast - Weihenstephan Weizen 3068
Starter: ?
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Temp: 64 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F

Generated by Brewer's Friend - Brewer's Friend - Homebrew Beer Recipes, Calculators, and Forum
Date: 2020-09-13 17:48 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2020-09-13 14:35 UTC

Last edited:
I've made this roggenbier recipe before. It will be the first thing I brew when my season of brewing re-starts at the end of October. If you like weisse beer, this is worth your time and effort.
homebru

I've made this roggenbier recipe before. It will be the first thing I brew when my season of brewing re-starts at the end of October. If you like weisse beer, this is worth your time and effort.
homebru
I still haven't done anything with the rye yet, but thinking about something very close to that Rockin' Roggen recipe. Also I want my rye percent to be at least 50% but not necessarily much higher than 50. If I use kolsch yeast it obviously won't be a proper Roggenbier, but I think I might do that anyway and just call it a Winter Warmer. Will the rye still contribute anything (besides being harder to use than pale barley malt) if I don't use wheat yeast?

Back