Weissbier Westmarch Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheVenerableMead

Reaction score
Batch size 4 1/2 gallon. (anticipated vigorous ferment and wanted extra headspace in carboy)

5# Pilsner
4# Light Wheat malt
8oz Carahell
8oz Carawheat
8oz Flaked wheat
1/2# Rice hulls

Mash at ~152°F for 60 min. English sparge at ~165°F.

Boil 60 minutes.
1/2oz Hallertau @ 45min
1/2oz Hallertau @ 10min
1oz Hallertau @ 0min

Cool wort to ~75° and pitch 1 packet of Safbrew T-58 directly into wort.

OG ~1.062

Let ferment 2 weeks at ~70°F. VERY lively ferment and was glad for the extra headspace in carboy. Ferment died to a slow bubble after 3 days.

FG ~1.013

Prime with ~3.5oz corn sugar and bottle.

Just got this into bottle, so I won't have any pictures for about two weeks. At bottling, it tasted like a much more robust and slighly tart version of Paulaner hefe- so I'm pretty darned pleased so far.

This was not only my first all grain brew, but my first any kind of brew. I've made wine before, but never beer. I read up quite a bit on it before this attempt. This was also the maiden voyage of my home made cooler mashtun (I'm an engineer and really wasn't that worried about this aspect of the adventure). This is my own devised recipe, although I don't doubt there are many quite like it.

Here are some notes for any fellow novices:

1.) Grain may soak up more water than you imagine. I mashed with about 2qts/lb because I became alarmed and panicked when 1 1/2qt/lb produced no standing water and also mis-estimated strike temp and added some to make my desired mash temp. I also accidentally used a full lb of rice hulls. Pay attention ding-dong! Don't panic when things don't look like the picture in your head.

2.) Supply check first! Mash was actually 90min because I discovered I didn't have tubing I thought I did.

3.) Forgot to whirlfloc at 10min.

4.) You may notice a lot of ~ (indicates approximation) prefixing my numbers. Some of it is due to me having the eyesight of a bat, most is due to inexperience at brewing beer.

This was simply a brilliant adventure in a new hobby. I plan to learn from my mistakes and knock up a much more precisely brewed beer next time. But aside from it all, I'm incredibly pleased with the results thus far. Pics in a couple of weeks.

Just under a week in bottle. My goodness this is going to be a brilliant beer! Can't believe it turned out as well as it did.

1399674918942.jpg

Back