Westmalle bottle yeast starter - is it smelling right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bionut

Reaction score
Hi,
i harvested the dregs from a Westmalle Dubbel and made a starter. When i smell it it smells somewhat cidery, almlst like elderflower wine, if you know the smell. I also tasted it, and it doesn't seem to be sour or having any other off taste. Just the smell is off, comparing it with others yeast starters i made (wlp001, wyeast1217).
Is this normal for this yeast?

Hi,
i harvested the dregs from a Westmalle Dubbel and made a starter. When i smell it it smells somewhat cidery, almlst like elderflower wine, if you know the smell. I also tasted it, and it doesn't seem to be sour or having any other off taste. Just the smell is off, comparing it with others yeast starters i made (wlp001, wyeast1217).
Is this normal for this yeast?

when you isolate yeast from a bottle, he needs to wake up, activate metabolism and propagate: in this phase it produces a lot of off-flavours so you cannot tell if it's ok or not in the first 2-3 days. let it recover, then add more fresh worh to grow and check the smell

The first starter I ever made from a Belgian yeast had an cider/apple smell and I was worried it had gone off but it was fine.

Back