West Coast Saisons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drchernus

Reaction score
I've been brewing a ton of IPAs lately. It's summer and everyone throwing a party or barbecue wants a corny keg of something crisp, clean & hoppy. I don't mind, but I'm excited to brew for myself again and brew other styles. The only problem is that I have a freezer full of great APA/IPA hops: Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade, Galaxy, Centennial, El Dorado. So my plan is to make a bunch of hop-bursted Saisons with Belgian Pilsner, small bittering additions, huge flavor/aroma additions, and Wyeast 3711. Not unlike the Nelson Sauvin Smash I made earlier this year, but with different IPA-like hop combos.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Commercial examples I should look into?

3711 is a beast. It'll tear through sugars and leave a very dry but drinkable beer. You won't go wrong with it.

My only suggestion would be to choose hops that complement the spicy and peppery character of the yeast, especially if you ferment at the lower range. I've read other places on here that Amarillo is a good pair for that yeast.

Good luck.

First, I have to say I am an IPA junkie, and I too got a little burned out on them. Freezer full of big American hops like you...same story....

My favorite saison is one that I have brewed 5 times. First 3 were 35 ibus w. Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin--I like this combo a lot, however, everytime I did 35 Ibu's there was too much bite. Then I lowered it to 30 IBU's with Amarillo. Bite was a little better, but Amarillo almost seemed bland. Latest batch was around 23 Ibus with Citra.

The last batch is by far the best. Super smooth, aromatic, nice head retention and at nearly 9-10% ABV, scary if you drink it like a pale ale. Keep the IBU's between 20-25.

Nearly everytime I have gone from 1.076-78 down to 1.004 or less with 3711. I would suggest using Pilsner/Pale malt, maybe adding carapils, and something aromatic? Also, I would suggest a touch of Crystal in there...the last batch I used 1/4lb of Crystal 80 (because that's what I had)--turned out great!

I second the addition of crystal.

I would definitely try something with maybe El Dorado with Centennial or Galaxy with Centennial. Either should be very interesting. Have you tried the Danstar Belle Saison yeast? If you make two batches of a saison maybe try both yeasts. I really loved the Belle Saison yeast in my Hi Nelson (Nelson Sauvin hops with Hibiscus added) saison. Recipe is here by Fuzzymittenbrewing.

I have tried the Danstar Belle Saison in batch # 3 and in the latest batch #5. I find it to be nearly identical to 3711. Yeah when I used the crystal 80 I didn't want to go overboard with it. I think there is just enough in there to add complexity (I used light brown sugar in the first batch). All told, with the pilsner malt its still really light.

the other 2.5 gallons of this batch is still sitting....and I am thinking of bottling it tomorrow. Opted for ECY03 Farmhouse Brett in that one--so multiple Saison yeasts and a fruity brett strain...

Back