West Coast IPA Recipe Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milo_leon

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have tons of Columbus, Centennial, and Amarillo hops and been wanting to make a dank and fruity West Coast IPA to balance out all the hazy NEIPA I've been brewing lately. Let me know your thoughts :)

1.069 OG
Est. 1.016 FG (7.1% ABV)
73 IBU
7 SRM

Water: Ca 110, Mg 27, Na 20, Cl 53, So4 275

Mash @ 150 for 75m
13# 2-row
1.5# Munich
1.5# Vienna
0.5# Rice hulls

60m boil
1oz Columbus FWH
1oz Centennial 20m
1oz Amarillo 10m

2oz each of Columbus, Centennial, Amarillo - Whirlpool 20m
2oz each of Columbus, Centennial, Amarillo - Dry hop after fermentation

Ferment with A24 Dry Hop Imperial Yeast

FG seems a bit high for a classic WC IPA which typically end up around 11-12 points.
[edit] I should have noticed this earlier, but I think 9% each of Munich and Vienna is twice what I'd recommend and may inform the higher predicted FG. I'd move half of each to base malt.

Otherwise the recipe looks good to me - although some folks would skip the middle additions and move them all to WP...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Recipe looks really good but I don’t think you will get much dank using A24 Dry Hop yeast and 2:2:2 of CTZ, Amarillo and Centennial. I predict mostly fruit and citrus based on experience with similar hops and yeast.

Depending on how much dank you are going for, consider purchasing an once of Comet or Apollo, and add half ounce at flame out and half ounce to the dry hop.
If keeping hops the same then slightly increase amount of Columbus at flameout and dry hop. Let us know how this turns out

Apollo or eureka for dank. Dank doesn’t always show up wit comet, sometimes its grapefruit candy. Delicious .

Thank you all for the feedback! We bought the grain already so no change to the bill, but moved the Centennial and Amarillo to 15m and 5m. We added one ounce each of Apollo and Galaxy in WP (@170 degrees), and will add the same amount of each to the dry hop also.

We hit 1.070 OG, and I am hoping to finish close to 1.010.

Latest posts

Back