West Coast IPA feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not have distilled on hand so I am going to go with tap + campden. Can I blindly add any salts to improve this, even marginally? or am I better off not adding anything

It is a bit of a gamble. I suspect most places in New Jersey uses surface water that is fairly low in mineral content (Calcium, Sulfate and Chloride levels in the 20 to 60 range). There is a chance that adding 0.5 to 1 gram of Gypsum per gallon would help get your Calcium and Sulfate levels into better ranges for a West Coast IPA. Acid adjustments are a bit harder to predict without a water report. With my DC Suburbs tap water I often have to add around 30 ml of 10% Phosphoric Acid for a 5 gallon batch (that is a full volume mash BIAB process...I just switched over to 88% lactic for my last batch).

I would suggest you try to track down some info on your water.

@CascadesBrewer I've tried, but only found about bad stuff/contaminants, nothing that matters to my beer. I normally do distilled but my food store was sold out, and plan to eventually get a RO setup. Maybe I'll just use the water as-is.

Also consider sending off a sample to Wards Lab and get a water report so you have an idea. They have a pretty quick turn around.

Without knowing I would just brew as is adding some Campden as you mentioned.

I considered that but you'd need to redo it at an interval to keep it true/accurate. I think a RO kit for $200 would be better

Consider using basic / "classic" ingredients that support non-tropical hop flavors / aromas.
  • 90% "two row", 10% "light munich";
    • 25% Golden Promise is probably too much
    • Sugar (as @Beermeister32 mentioned) for higher ABV recipes
  • Color is pale (otherwise, see Red IPA).
  • 50 IBUs of a classic bittering hop (Magnum, Warrior, ...)
  • Flavor/Aroma hops appropriate for either a "classic" or "modern" IPA
  • Yeast strain appropriate for either a "classic" or "modern" IPA
Hops: for a more "classic" West Coast IPA (the anit-NEIPA?) consider the full list of classic "C" hops as well as Simcoe and Amarillo. There's more to classic "C" hops than Cascade and Centennial.

Yeast: something that doesn't contribute flavor and "lets the hops shine". Verdant's flavor wheel (link) shows 'red apple' and 'tropical'.
^^^All good; spot on suggestions.^^^

HB Westi WCIPA with home grown wet hops. Brewed on 9-4-22 and just now reaching prime. Pretty damn good.

Attachments

• IMG_5943.MOV
    20.9 MB
Hey guys,

After brewing back to back NEIPA's I decided to switch it up and try out a west coast IPA. What are your thoughts on this recipe? Any recommendations/suggestions?

Edit: Thank you all for your feedback. I created brewers friend recipe for review.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1242900/west-coast-ipa
Ideally, I want to use what I have on hand, but I can order whatever is needed if I cannot make it work.

Grain
  • 2-row - ~40 lbs
  • Golden Promise - 10 lbs
  • White wheat - 8 lbs
  • Honey malt - 4 lbs
Hops
  • Citra lupomax
  • Citra T-90 (2 oz)
  • Columbus lupomax
  • Galaxy
  • Mosaic lupomax
  • El Dorado lupomax
Thanks
I made a killer WC-ish IPA that has since become a staple in my keezer with similar ingredients. You won't get a nice amber color or the WC malt flavor without some darker grain though. Personally, I'd steer clear of Crystal malt. I used it when I started the recipe, but have since moved away from it.

I've settled on 75% 2 Row, 15% Munich and 10% carapils/carafoam. US05. I did Citra/Mosaic for hops, and although it wasn't piney and weed-ish, it was definitely firmly bitter and dank. I just brewed up a version of this last week using all Simcoe, so I can't report on that just yet, but my all Simcoe NEIPA is not dank or weed-like at all. It's bursting with tropical citrus and maybe even a touch of vanilla.

I think that's the one, nice and simple. Two Hearted Ale is delicious. I had Hop Slam for the first time a few weeks ago
Deuce of Hearts (Bells Two Hearted clone). I very happy the way it turned out

Attachments

• PXL_20221016_145141376.jpg
    PXL_20221016_145141376.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back