Welp. Now what. Stalled fermentstion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
So I brewed a neipa Saturday, og 1.086, and to try to bring out the esters in the hornidal kviek I followed the advice here and pitched 2tbsp into 6gal wort. It fermented vigorously for the typical 2 days with temps in the 90’s then stopped dead on day 3 which is typical I find for kviek. So I soft crashed added my first dryhop, blah blah blah. added my second dryhop today and took my fg reading. 1.030. 🙄😮 so now what. I just added the second dryhop. I have a Hornidal slurry in a pint jar. Should I add some and put the heat back on it? However what’s that gonna do to the dry hops? Won’t it induce hop creep? I should’ve just pitched the whole pack like I planned on oh well. Beer actually tasted ok, not overly sweet like I expected just a little full, expected fg is 1.016-1.018. Oh and before anyone asks. Yes reading was taken with a calibrated hydrometer not a refractometer, no there were not a lg amount of unfermentables it’s a neipa not a stout so I underpitched on purpose but allegedly kviek should’ve been able to finish this off.

i get it. Not an easy question. I reapplied the heating pad, swirled it and am gonna let it go another 4 days before cold crashing. Hopefully that’ll drop it a few more points. And looks like with the heat bumped up and a couple swirls the yeast is back working again.

Last edited:
Also I’m here to tell you a 1030 fg beer will stick out, if you didn’t find it overly sweet or a significant “wtf” then I’d be suspicious about the gravity reading.

All grain? Mash temperature? Thermometer calibration? Grain bill?
It’s underpitched but sure I’ll give ya some details.

all grain yes. Mashe temp 154. Therm calibration. Good. Grain bill.
15lbs 2 row
1.5lbs flaked oats
1lb munich
1lb white wheat
4oz carapils
It’s my common grain bill for my neipas and I adjust based on the size of the og I want. Beer smith has fg at 1.016 I think and the neipa I made a week before this just slightly smaller in grain bill I used a full pack of Voss and it hit the fg in 3 days. Wort chilled to 95 yeast pitched at 88deg and active ferm temp was mid 90’s. Like I said it was going hard and fats for 2 days then completely dropped. I think I’m gonna add a tbsp of the Hornidal kviek starter slurry I have now that the temp is bumped back up in the fermenter and see if I can’t get it to drop those extra 10-12 points. I’ll deal with the dh material that’s already in the fermenter.

Back