well, this how you do it....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would it be a bad thing if i wet a comforter to sleep in? it's bed time, and still 90f inside....but i remember when i didn't want to dry dish before putting them away it caused mold in the drawers.....f'it, think i'll try it, it'll be weird but cool.....

A friend showers but doesn't dry before bedtime on hot nights. Less drastic than sleeping in a sopping wet bed. Never mind W. C. Fields - drink some nice cool water.

Hope that's all it is.

Properly sized fuses don't just burn out, unless there's an overload...
The heat can play a role, even havoc, sure.

yeah, when it crapped out. i noticed the wires powering the fan were ancient and bare wire was touching the metal grill...i taped them up for the time being, but they should be replace here soon. nothing i can't do...

and you'll be pleased to know it's working now, so i'm nipping it in the bud today, and it already was up to 87f, at 8:30am....going to keep it at a nice cozy 80f rest of the day...

and @day_trippr i'm drinking water right now, figured the wet shirt idea was good, so "why not?"

Use Star Star if your pits are stinky. That stuff is a miracle cure.

i live alone, so i can smell as bad as i want! :mug:

yeah, when it crapped out. i noticed the wires powering the fan were ancient and bare wire was touching the metal grill...i taped them up for the time being, but they should be replace here soon. nothing i can't do...
Yup, that should blow the fuse.

Replacing the wires can be fairly easy or very difficult depending on how easy it is to get inside the fan assembly to make the new connection.
Make sure to cut the power to the whole AC system at your main breaker panel. IOW, both the air handler (inside unit) and compressor (outside unit). They're usually on separate circuits, but who knows they may share a hot wire.

and to close the thread 2 pack of fuses was ~$5
That's a decent price for 50A buss fuses. Much better than a $150+ service call.

good idea to clean the thing inside that gets cold though, i don't use the A/C much, but, i smoke....
That's the air handler. It should have a filter, to be replaced or washed every 200-750 hours of on-time, depending on how much dust it accumulates. My thermostat keeps track of the on-time and pops up a filter-replace message. I use washable filters...

That's the air handler. It should have a filter, to be replaced or washed every 200-750 hours of on-time, depending on how much dust it accumulates. My thermostat keeps track of the on-time and pops up a filter-replace message. I use washable filters...

mine just has something that is a coarse sponge looking thing.....but for years now, i've only been using the A/C for probably 20-30 a year, for days like yesterday, i don't mind 85f indoor temp, and usually i can save on my electric bill, and put some box fans in windows to get that.....

but 98 was something else inside!

oh i guess i can add, it was kinda weird, but worked great, sleeping in the wet comforter! ;) :mug: almost made me feel cold, and want to bundle up.....

Replacing the wires can be fairly easy or very difficult depending on how easy it is to get inside the fan assembly

i wasn't really thinking about tearing the motor apart, just triming them back, and replacing the length to the start cap.....(thanks for the idea, now i'm thinking some shrink tube would be good too....

mine just has something that is a coarse sponge looking thing
Probably a "washable" filter. You should check it sometime to see how much dust it has accumulated. But yeah 20-30 hours a year, it may take 10 years.

Washable in the sense you can rinse it out, add some suds to it too, then rinse well and let dry in the sun, on a flat surface. They're flimsy and deform/tear easily, especially when wet and heavy. When washing/rinsing those they benefit from being supported, like in a large tray or so, or on a piece of formica or plywood.

oh i guess i can add, it was kinda weird, but worked great, sleeping in the wet comforter! ;) :mug: almost made me feel cold, and want to bundle up.....
When I lived in North East PA at 2000' elevation, there was always a breeze and no real need for AC except for a few nights to a week per year. I then used to sleep on a damp towel and have a box fan running. Yup, it gets too cold after a while. So does a waterbed without any pad and sheets in between, you can't stand it for more than 10 minutes. Some efficient heat sink!

Old and fat, look more like Santa.

That was my other guess...well i want a second co2 tank, so i can have a second kegerator in my bedroom for xmas. You KNOW i'm always a good boy! if i do misbehave somehow, i'll settle for a steel tank!

|My brother's bounced back and forth between Arizona - Pheonix area, and Chicago area for the past 20 years - at least a few moves each direction. Visiting AZ in the dead of summer is a rough one. Dry heat or not, 120 degrees is still too damn hot. |Like walking into a wall just going out the door. That said, the time I was there in late July, played 2 and 2 half rounds of golf, drinking tons of water and gatorade, but never having to go to the bathroom was an experience. That was the time I discovered how good a ice-water soaked towel feels on the back of your neck when you get to the clubhouse.
Got family in Yuma. They like to spend summers in Utah "to get away from the heat." If current conditions are indicators of things to come this summer, I'd say they're totally screwed! (I think that's the technical term for it).

Back