Weizenbock -- Crystal malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giraffe

Reaction score
Im thinking of brewing a weizenbock, which I havent done before.

My question is whether or not to include crystal malt in the recipe. I see many recipes tend to include some dark crystal, but I wonder how traditional it is or if its a good idea, or people just kitchen sinking it. (usually id just brew it, but its a big beer and its going to take up space for a long while aging). Im going for the Aventinus type of weizenbock, not the Vitus paler type.

I will be using 3638, As I have it going, and its my preferred hefe yeast.

I prefer my dunkelweizens without crystal, just Wheat, dark wheat, munich malts. Does anyone have any experience either way with weizenbock? And if so how much crystal and what type? Any other advice, recipe wise?

I forget a lot of the research I did on the style but what I came down to was

2:1 Munich to wheat. Small amount of biscuit, victory, etc figure 10% max. Triple decoct or at least step mash 140, 148, 155, 168 mash out. Northern Brewer 60 and 20 to around 25 IBU. Just get close on the bitterness. So like

10# munich
5# wheat
1# Biscuit, Vicory, Special Roast

.67oz Northern Brewer @ 60
.33oz Northern Brewer @ 20

If you want a cara malt in there you could hit it with some caramunich. I'd go around .75#. Personally, I'd skip it. This style would be best after a few months of rest. At that point the hops are going to fade and it will present itself a bit sweeter than your brewday numbers.

I will be doing a double decoction. (with an infusion to get to mash out) 113-131-152 was what I was thinking. I decoct most beers requiring step mashes, as I have a picnic cooler as a mash tun, and I enjoy the process.

100-113 for a ferulic acid rest/de-gumming. Do a decoction, add back in to get to the high 120s up to 131, for 10-20 min, for a protein rest, Decoct, to go to 150-152 for a saccrification rest for 75 minutes or so. Infuse with 190 water to get the temp to mash out temp. And let settle.

Back