Weird growth (blobs) shortly after pitching yeast with pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob M

Reaction score
Whole grain brew (American pale ale/ American wheat hybrid if curious)...shortly as in a few hours, after pitching yeast (safale 05) into cooled wort @ 71F in a furmonster (one step fermentation) "activity" started. It was way too soon to be proper fermentation. By the next morning there was a lot of it. Instead of Krausean forming on top, it was like blobs growing down and breaking off and settling on the bottom. BTW - I have a fermentation fridge and the temp was set for 65F/18.2 C. The pics are attached are from 24 hours after pitching the yeast. Looks terrible. Hate to lose a whole batch. I've read similar posts about what people said were mold circles, this is different.

Attachments

• 20180212_175241.jpg
    20180212_175241.jpg
    675.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 20180212_175335.jpg
    20180212_175335.jpg
    721 KB · Views: 164
That is protein. Also known as cold break.
Aha, thank you. It has a name now. I did (and have before) a 15 min hopstand which I know is a risk, and I use a wort chiller. Had not seen this stuff before. I guess the bottom line is will this batch turn out or is it f@cked? I've read different opinions on this topic.

Aha, thank you. It has a name now. I did (and have before) a 15 min hopstand which I know is a risk, and I use a wort chiller. Had not seen this stuff before. I guess the bottom line is will this batch turn out or is it f@cked? I've read different opinions on this topic.
You will have a clear beer to bottle in about three weeks when the cold break compacts in the trub layer.

The typical hopstand is done when the wort is still hot. As long as the wort is above about 140F. there is no risk whatsoever.

Fermentation is an ugly process. Close the door of your fermentation chamber and leave it closed for at least 10 days, then look to see how your beer is doing. You're are stressing out over nothing.

Back