Weird growth 24h after adding sugar for carbonation, is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oxilic

Reaction score
Moderator's Note:
Posts and details from an earlier, duplicate thread, were merged into this one.

I've finished coldcrashing this cream ale I've been brewing, I took some samples and they tasted great, so I've moved it to an airtight container and added sugar for carbonation. I checked it the next day and these weird tentacle looking things started growing on it. Could this be an infection starting or is it just the yeast doing yeasty things?

Photo
Photo

Also, it doesn't seem to have released any CO2 yet, the pressure gague remains at 0.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't recall my yeast doing stuff like that in the past. Got any pictures of the top?

Nothing sinister there, that's just an amalgam of proteins and yeast 'n' stuff forming stalactites.
Carry on...

Cheers!

[edit/ps] Am I wrong that there's not a lot of beer in that vessel vs head space?

A picture would help. That sounds like it could indeed be an infection. Did you boil your sugar solution for at least a few seconds before adding it? Also, did you sanitize the container the beer was moved to?

I think that might be my problem I didnt boil my sugar solution.
I did that once, and wound up with some interesting off flavors. My well water has a bacteria that isn't harmful, but can create odors. Seemed like that had something to do with it. By the way, i noticed another thread almost identical to this after responding here. It's that you under a different name?

An airtight container does not sound like something to be used for carbonation.

Umm.....

1620338989606.png

So you have fermented in an all rounder ?
Then transferred once bright and clear to another one ? was this a closed transfer or was it open ferment and then to the all rounder?
Any finings added?
Keep it away from the light with a blanket or is it in a fridge and you are opening up for those pictures.

Back