Weird floaters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Havoc

Reaction score
Hey everybody. I just got done with my Chocolate Pumpkin Ale; it tastes about where I want it to be, but I've got a problem.

img1430qq.jpg

On the bottom center, there is a globule of something. Tastes fine to me, and I can't distinguish any off flavors. What's this look like, fellas? Yeast Globule? Sediment? Anything I should be worried about?

looks like some sediment. Perhaps a small piece of pumpkin or what not. I would not worry a bit. Drink and enjoy.

'a' weird globule?

A see a crapload of yeast - or what is most likely yeast. The weird globule is just the largest chunk.

My vote goes towards coagulated proteins. I read in Radical Brewing something to the effect that sometimes chill haze is intense enough that the proteins will coagulate. I've seen it multiple times in some of Bell's beers, especially their pale ale.

Regardless, nothing to worry about.

It's been kegged at 40* for 6 weeks. I literally went through a good pint or two of sludge - and this is after I'd gone through a secondary with gelatin as a fining agent and after I had gotten most of, or so I thought, of the trub / coagulated particulate matter out of the beer.

Definitely not the look I was going for, but not far off from the taste. If I die, I'll give you folks an update.

My pumpkin came out the same. Clumps and weird floaties, mostly just bits of pumpkin.

Did you know yeast is highly nutritious? Yeah, it has all sorts of b vitamins.

I had something that looked very similar show up a couple of brews back, I was very worried at the time.

I'm pretty confident it was yeast.

Enjoy the fruits of their labor!

Back