Weird contamination in my fermenter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdrianBrews

Reaction score
So I just finished this next batch, put in the airlock, and let it sit. I came back a little while later to check up on the carboy and I see this thing floating inside. I am not sure how it got in, or what it is. I used star-san for all equipment, and I used a strainer when I poured the wort into the carboy. Everything was properly cleaned. Will this little black misc thing be a problem in terms of contamination? Am I overreacting? Under reacting? I tried getting it out but there were no 90 degree utensils at my disposable to reach it.

its been 5-6 hours now, and my S-05 is forming a strong krausen with that black thing floating right in it.

DsCkOrv.jpg

Wow did you cook outside? Sometimes moths mess with me... I wouldn't fish it out, in fact if this was my beer i would just wait til secondary and leave it in the trub. Best case is that it hit the starsan. Maybe it was stuck on the underside of your bung?

My bet is you'll be fine...

You don't want things floating in it, but it will probably be ok. Maybe you could tip the carboy enough that it would pour out, or could dip it out with a spoon.

Probably a bug or at least part of one. Definitely an "ew" but, while nobody wants to think about a bug in their beer, it will not affect it at all.

When you share the beer with friends, you can add a little flair with some bug names... Adrianbrew's Bug Butt Ale... etc... :)

Just had an exciting idea:Hook it up to a blow off tube, and ferment near the higher temperature threshold. Maybe you can get the beer to expel the bugger for you!

Back