Weight of Empty Cornelius Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just weighed one that has a splash of sanitizer and is pressurized (sorry its the only one that isn't at least 1/4 full of beer) and it came out to 8.5 lbs

This was a cornelius keg with 2 handles on it. I'm sure the other manufacturers kegs weigh slightly different

Hope this helps

James

That's interesting, I'm certain mine isn't pressurized with helium or something else lighter than air so I guess that leaves either differences in manufacturers or scale inaccuracies. When I get back home tonight I think I'm going to find something with a known weight and see how much my scale says it weighs.

James

I just stuck a 10lb weight from the work out set on my scale. It measured at 10.4lbs. The corney was pressurized with CO2 so I let that out and verified it was empty. I measured it again and got 9lbs.

when i ordered two of them a couple weeks ago, the fedex invoice said 16lbs....so 8lbs each sounds pretty accurate.

Back