Week Long Marathon Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbohanon

Reaction score
So I had a request for 50 gallons of home brew for a party to be made and figured I would test my endurance as I have been putting plans together for a small nano in a neighboring town and one of the things I keep hearing from others is that you better be able to brew all the time (daily) and love doing it if you are still holding down a day job for the first year of opening with a small nano.

Challenge accepted. I have brewed a 10 gallon batch every night this week after getting home from work.

So far, I have loved it, found ways to reduce time on brew day without sacrificing quality..I am tired, but in a good way..I have 2 more batches to do, but so far, I am thinking I will be doing this much more often while the nano-plans continue to materialize.

is it all the same beer?

Last time I had to do back to back to back to back batches I was making a bunch of different beers for a wedding. Ended up swapping the entire hop bill of one of them with another. Didnt say a word to the couple though

is it all the same beer?

Last time I had to do back to back to back to back batches I was making a bunch of different beers for a wedding. Ended up swapping the entire hop bill of one of them with another. Didnt say a word to the couple though

Did you get a chance to try it? :D

yeah. The overhopped hefe with simcoe and summer was pretty interesting. The underhopped pale ale with hallertau was just kinda boring. But it still all was gone by the end

Very cool... if I tried to pull this off, my wife and kids would have my head. Where is the nano going to be located?

And good question @m00ps, I'm curious if it was all the same bill.

I love Charlotte! Whens the party?

Just kidding but WOW! what a week!

Party is actually in NJ so its going to all get trucked up north..

For m00ps, its 2 different beers that I have been brewing this week...3 batches of a blonde ale(30g) and 2 of an east coast IPA(20g). I have adjusted the blonde between 2 of those batches water profile-wise but I expect I would be the only one to know the difference taste-wise based on the audience this party is targeted for.
The IPA was built from trial and error I did based on the feedback from the mile long Hill Farmstead mouthfeel thread on here as well as a blog I found on the whole east coast IPA taste located here: http://scottjanish.com/chasing-mouthfeel-softness/

I am already planning on attempting to do 2 more week long marathons like this based on this weeks activity..

One week that will be a different beer a day (my planned specials/seasonals) and then I want to do a solid week long run of the 4 house brews that are planned for the tap room when the nano gets closer to reality.

Very cool... if I tried to pull this off, my wife and kids would have my head. Where is the nano going to be located?

Only my wife would have my head. My 15 year old has come quite the brewer's assistant. He likes to runs the music. He was Jonny on the spot last brew day. I was using the bathroom the alarm sounded and he reset it and made the correct hops addition. Now that sounds like a horrible dad...teaching my 15 year old to brew. :smack:

Only my wife would have my head. My 15 year old has come quite the brewer's assistant. He likes to runs the music. He was Jonny on the spot last brew day. I was using the bathroom the alarm sounded and he reset it and made the correct hops addition. Now that sounds like a horrible dad...teaching my 15 year old to brew. :smack:

Check out this thread, we're all in the same boat... you have an awesome 15 year old:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=575879

My kids love the brewing process for about 10 min... they never make it past milling the grains. : ) But they are quite a bit younger.

I hear you on the wife and kids giving you trouble..The materials for all this (Grain/water/hops/yeast) just touched $275 retail which is still a steal for the amount of beer you get from 50 gallons.
I also get my kids involved when I brew. My daughter who is 13 knows how to brew beer on my e-herms systems at this point. She helps with clean-up and taking notes/measuring out the ingredients as I work through the process. There are sticky notes all over my brewshed wall where she leaves her thoughts in the brewing process downtime.
She also loves milling grain and says when the mash is recircing that it smells like baking bread.

It also helps I finally got my wife onboard with the nano-idea after much debate as she is not a beer person. Took a business plan, some folks neither of us know taste and provide very positive feedback on my beer along with the understanding that we will not be doing this to get rich, but to enrich our lives and be masters of our own domain.

She understands that I need to get the house recipes brewed consistently to get everything dialed in so large grain purchases and RO water systems are greenlit funding wise and it helps the guy throwing this party is funding the materials for this weeks brewing sessions as well as paying for fuel and tossing a few hundred bucks in to the mix for my trouble.
To him this home brew is a novelty for his party and he has a money tree or 2 in his backyard so I am really hoping to take advantage of this opportunity and land him as a silent investor for my nano. :fro:

Latest posts

Back