Wee heavy on Oak in secondary growing some strang

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khillian

Reaction score
Hey HBT,

So I brewed this Wee Heavy, http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/scottish-wee-heavy-extract-kit.html OG 1.083

I grew up a 1 gallon starter of Scottish Ale yeast by Wyeast, had a strong fermentation brewed 11/26 - on 12/15 racked to Secondary (FG 1.022 (8% abv) tasted good! no floaties) onto 2 oz of Hungarian Oak cubes which were steamed in the microwave in a little water.

I flushed the top of the carboy with this wine argon gas dispenser and put a carboy cap onto the carboy. Left for vacation on 12/23 just got back today 1/8 and noticed these white blobs attached to the wood.

Could this be lacto or brett? The white blobs appear attached to the wood cubes and there is no full pellicile or spots that aren't on floating oak cubes.

Any advice where to go from here? Wanted to age it for 6 weeks on the oak before racking to a keg, any concerns? keg / line contamination? Cold crash help before kegging?

Ugh made this last year with 1oz of oak, had less experience as a brewer and bottle conditioned it, turned out great, none of these white blobs on the oak. Arg 2014...

1044246_899923130220_1006027941_n.jpg

As a huge fan of sours I say you let it sit for a month taste and see if it is on it's way there. If so let it sit until it is to your enjoyment and drink away.

Turned out to be an acetaldehyde bomb, green apple aroma and flavor. Dumped this batch =/

Back