Weather Related Beer Dilemma or "It's going to be 107 degrees on my planned brew day"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrueDude

Reaction score
I have some friends coming to visit in early September and wanted to give them the best homebrew experience I could, so I meticulously planned out a brewing schedule. I brew outside and live in western Oregon, so, while it can get hot, as long as I plan my brew day well, I have no issues. Well, 107 degrees is just too damn hot, and that's what it's predicted to be on my brew day. The rest of the week isn't great either.

I had a 10 gallon batch I brewed 10 days ago and split between 2 yeasts, an American ale yeast and an English ale yeast, which will give me an American Amber and an ESB (in theory). I was planning to split my next 10 gallon batch between the two fermenters and pitch right on the yeast cake, but the plan was to do this on Wednesday. I have to work Monday and Tuesday, and most of Thursday and Friday. I'm self-employed, so I have some leeway. I'm also disabled, so having someone around for assistance is advisable.

My choices are as follows:

Brew tomorrow. The ESB is done and the Amber MIGHT be. If it isn't, I have a starter going from an old s-04 batch just in case. This isn't ideal, because I planned on using US-05 for that half of the batch. However, I will have plenty of help if I need it.

Brew mid-week. I can mash overnight and get most of the work done in the late hours/early hours. BUT, I will have no help.

Any advice or any suggestions I haven't thought of would be appreciated.

Home brewing is supposed to be a fun hobby, not a "must do" chore.
I hardly brew at all in the summer and the temp in my area tops out at about 95. Just relax, if you have beer for your friends, great, if you don't have any don't worry about it.
The other option is to get a smaller pot and brew a smaller batch inside.

Sleep-in during the day, and brew during the relatively cooler evening or early morning hours. Even if you don't have help, you have comfort and time on your side.
Beer doesn't care if its made in the light or the dark.

I brew in the sweltering southern summer heat. It can suck during the height of the day especially if you're in direct sunlight, but I try to get up super early so I'm done by the time noon rolls around.

I can't imagine taking a forecast for four+ weeks away seriously...

Cheers!

I thought the same thing initially... I think what is actually happening is he wants to brew NOW to have beer ready for when his friends show up in September - not that he's trying to brew with his friends in September.

+1 on late evening or early morning brewing, if you can round up some help. I do all of my brews in the early morning (start around 6am) and I'm usually done around 10:30-11am, before the heat hits. Up here in Western Washington we're supposed to hit 97 on the day you guys get 107...ouch.

I thought the same thing initially... I think what is actually happening is he wants to brew NOW to have beer ready for when his friends show up in September - not that he's trying to brew with his friends in September.

This

Outstanding. Sometimes worry is your biggest obstacle against accomplishing great things.

Well said. I actually posted a personal best for brewing efficiency. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) it will turn a 6.5-ish beer into a 7.5-ish beer. Oh well, my two oldest friends from Nebraska will help me drink it when they come out here for the Oregon game.:rockin:

I thought this too initially as well, but then my common sense told me it don't get 107 degrees in Oregon in september:D

I thought this too initially as well, but then my common sense told me it don't get 107 degrees in Oregon in september:D

It's not supposed to get 107 degrees in August, either, lol.

But yeah, for those of you who were confused, I guess I should have been more clear. The homebrew experience I am planning for my visitors consists of enjoying the fruits of my labor, not brewing with them.

Latest posts

Back