Wearing a face mask when brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djsereno91

Reaction score
I know the most important thing when brewing is sanitation. Also, our mouths are full of different kinds of bacteria (that I assume would love to set up shop in a fermenter). Is it recommended to wear a face mask when dealing with the wort after its cooled, or when dry hopping for instance?

my very first beer, fermentation ended, got final gravity reading, started siphoning by sucking on the end of the hose. before this, my only experience siphoning was gas from the car to the lawn mower, so my first instinct was to SPIT IT OUT!

right into the bottling bucket containing my priming solution.

I continued as if nothing had happened. turned out to be, at the time, one of the greatest beers I've ever had.

I know the most important thing when brewing is sanitation. Also, our mouths are full of different kinds of bacteria (that I assume would love to set up shop in a fermenter). Is it recommended to wear a face mask when dealing with the wort after its cooled, or when dry hopping for instance?

Save the facemask for stirring in the Cajun seasoning for the crawfish boil to enjoy your homebrew with.

As long as you keep your face a reasonable distance from the openings of fermenters, bottling pails. Overthinking can be dangerous to your enjoyment of this hobby.

This is what I wear.

image.jpeg

Lol that was my first thought when I saw the thread title that guy put me off starting to brew for a few years because I thought it was way to complex a task. Terpsichoreankid convinced me otherwise.

If I would have seen that video before I started I would have never started brewing.....

Like it was said earlier, I just try not to cough or sneeze into the beer but I have sneezed directly into a bucket of ipa as I was transferring from bucket to keg! Allergies were killing me that day and I just couldn't get away in time. Kept my mouth shut and continued on. Shame!
Thankfully I was the only one who drank the IPA. Well except the missus but she didn't care.

You guys have such a great sense of humor! Very funny stuff, but yeah mask not necessary. If you do happen to siphon, wort tastes way better than gasoline......

The star San dries out my hands a lot (I already get cracked and bleeding hands in the winter), so I try to wear gloves when I have contact with it. I've also had the star San vapor irritate my lungs if i use it in a spray bottle to spray my buckets, so I'll use a dust mask for that. Finally, my wife noticed some little droplets on our kitchen window after the first brew day (I still have no idea how!), so she has insisted that I tape up a plastic drop cloth when I brew. So yes, I look like I'm cooking meth on brew day.

The star San dries out my hands a lot (I already get cracked and bleeding hands in the winter), so I try to wear gloves when I have contact with it. I've also had the star San vapor irritate my lungs if i use it in a spray bottle to spray my buckets, so I'll use a dust mask for that. Finally, my wife noticed some little droplets on our kitchen window after the first brew day (I still have no idea how!), so she has insisted that I tape up a plastic drop cloth when I brew. So yes, I look like I'm cooking meth on brew day.

I can understand the gloves and mask if you're allergic to the sanitizer.

and if the wife insists on a plastic drop cloth, don't wrap her too tight and don't forget to poke airholes or she'll suffocate

How do you contact YouTube to have them pull offensive and objectionable material?
That dude is an embarrassment to home brewers everywhere.
And think of the potential home brewers that don't try the hobby after watching this clown.

I just do this at my house prior to brewing... it makes sure there's no live bacteria able to get into the wort:

FSmyCxH.jpg

hope you dont have any batches going when you do that each time. The light alone may be enough to instantly skunk everything, not to mention how mutated yeast is going to affect fermentation. Youll maybe get like 140% attenuation and end up with rocket fuel

How do you contact YouTube to have them pull offensive and objectionable material?
And think of the potential home brewers that don't try the hobby after watching this clown.

YouTube has a flagging function for videos. There's a link to their "community guidelines" with a list of legitimate causes for flagging a video.

However, I doubt "embarrassment to home brewers" is one of those causes. ;) The video did make me facepalm a few times. Yikes.

is there anyone that can honestly claim they arent an embarrassment to homebrewers? if anything, im an embarrassment...

I just look at it as great humor. You definitely can't take that guy seriously.

Okay, my 0.02 as I play party-pooper! I wear a mask these days over my nose and mouth but ONLY when milling grain. Last winter, I got a pretty bad fungal infection in my lungs that started after a brew day - took me 2 months to get over it. Now it may have been a coincidence, but whenever I mill these days, I have the mask just to be safe.

Back