Wearing a face mask when brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figure wine turns out okay and you're supposed to climb into the vat to stomp the grapes with your bare feet.

I just never found the right shoes for stomping/crushing the barley without hurting my toesies.

So was I. Siblings stole my big box of comics. i loved Iron Man, Fantastic four, & a slew of others. Had some of the annuals too, like when Spidey meets the green goblin for the first time. And a '58 Tales From the Crypt. Good times. Or maybe he could strap some bigfoot casts to his feet? That'd make short work of those grapes?

what the HELL?

my very first beer, fermentation ended, got final gravity reading, started siphoning by sucking on the end of the hose. before this, my only experience siphoning was gas from the car to the lawn mower, so my first instinct was to SPIT IT OUT!

right into the bottling bucket containing my priming solution.

I continued as if nothing had happened. turned out to be, at the time, one of the greatest beers I've ever had.

my very first beer, fermentation ended, got final gravity reading, started siphoning by sucking on the end of the hose. before this, my only experience siphoning was gas from the car to the lawn mower, so my first instinct was to SPIT IT OUT!
1xp4g
1xo07

1wz2k

1xo07

1wz2k
1xpc7

I knew I was missing a few steps after seeing this guys you tube video. Step 1 Prepare 100 gallons of StarSan. Have it dripping off of everything including the walls, ceiling and clothes. Step 2 If possible don't breath. This way there is no contaminants or dust in the air. Step 3 If you make it to there congratulations you have transfered your wort!

Seriously though just use some common sense and keep everything clean and sanitized. If you have really bad allergies you may want to wear a face mask, but otherwise no, not for transferring wort. Some brewers do a secondary, some brewers don't. That is just the preference of the brewer. I do occasionally, as I have more 5 gallon carboys, than 6.5 gallon carboys.

I bought a second hand mill and haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I'm glad I read this thread, and not just for the (many) laughs. It didn't occur to me that a mask could be useful when milling.

I don't use a face mask normally, but I just brewed a batch with a couple of friends from work, and we talked a lot (it was their first brew). We wore masks during bottling to reduce the chance of micro-spitting into the wort while talking. Can't hurt to be extra safe I guess. The beer btw turned out great!

I remember reading somewhere that the brewers from Russian River will go home and change clothes if they go from the sour brew-house to the non-sour brew-house (wrong terminology?). I figure a face mask is cheap insurance on a batch.

Back