Weak cherry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougBrown

Reaction score
I made a cherry wine that turned out weak and insipid. I used 30 lbs. of fresh cherries (Bing) for 6 gallons. I also added 2 cups of white grape concentrate, 8 t. acid blend and 2 t. tannin (plus the usual other additions). My first thought is to add more cherries and/or more acid blend, and/or more tannin. It seems that the "more cherries" part would need a lot more cherries (60 lbs.?) (can you tell I'm frustrated?). Most recipes I've researched are all around the 30 lb. mark so one would think that would be enough, would one not?

Sigh.

When I make cherry wine, I use pitted red tart (ie. pie) cherries and do not add water. This comes to roughly 10lbs of cherries per gallon. This produces a nice cherry pie flavor with enough acid and low enough pH that no acid adjustments are necessary. Not sure if the same holds for sweet cherries though.

I haven't made a wine using sweet cherries but the ones I've tasted have been very nice and rather subtle in flavor. I'd guess you will want to use a lot more cherries next time.

Most fruit recipes tend to be on the dramatically low side of fruit quantity from what I've seen and heard of comments from others. My rule of thumb is that if the fruit is good to eat by itself, it probably doesn't need any water dilution. Cherries, blueberries, peaches, strawberries and such fall into that camp. However, cranberries and lemon can stand some dilution from both a flavor and acid standpoint.

Wine sugar produces more abv. Just a fruit without pressing the juice out isn’t enough sugar to make higher abv wine.

Just last weekend I bottled my own batch of cherry wine, which sounds very similar to yours and is not at all weak or insipid. We like it enough that it was the third summer I made it. The amount of cherries, acid and tannin was similar to yours, plus 5.2 kg sugar and 18 litres of water, and the usual pectic, K meta, nutrient and yeast. The cherries are the sweet, dark red ones that come from the Okanagan every summer.

I decided I'd better open a bottle this evening in order to better describe it to you - purely in the interests of research of course, and also because I just went to the gym for the first time in three years. It's quite nice even after four days in the bottle, and improves a lot after six months to a year. It's dark red with a distinct cherry taste and nice aroma. Not heavy by any means, but very nice. It's dry, no backsweetening.

So there are two possibilities that come to mind - one is that our tastes in wine vary a lot, and the other is that you didn't manage to extract enough juice from the cherries. I use mesh bags, and pectic enzyme, and I leave the stones in but crush the fruit in my hands to break open each one. When I take the bag out after about five days, I squeeze the heck out of it, and from 30 lb cherries am left with about 14 lb of pulp including the stones.

I pit the cherries, which opens them up pretty well, add sulphite and then pectic enzyme the next day. I use a mesh basket and ferment for six days then I press them well and carry on from there.

I spread the wine around among friends and most of them thought the same as I did about the "weakness." The first reply to my question suggested using double the amount of cherries (60 lbs. for 23L./6 US gal.) I made a blackberry wine (same quantity of wine) and used 100 lbs. of blackberries so the must was 100% blackberry juice. Wow! Wonderful after a year! But the blackberries were free (wild); cherries are not...

(I got the cherries from the Okanagan as you did but they were a medium red rather than dark. Don't know what species they were. I'm on Vancouver Island too -- Cortes Island.)

Wow I'm impressed that you pitted 30 lb of cherries! I gave up on that idea pretty quickly. And picking 100 lb of blackberries - I got about 30 lb and those free berries were a lot of work. Hope you had more help than I did...

I do like the wines that I make with around 5 lb fruit per gallon. I like strongly flavoured things generally though, so eventually I'll try making wine with 100% juice - but to do that, I'll need a press and a pH meter. Maybe next summer.

And I'm in lovely Nanaimo. I've been to Quadra, but never Cortes.

Wow I'm impressed that you pitted 30 lb of cherries! I gave up on that idea pretty quickly. And picking 100 lb of blackberries - I got about 30 lb and those free berries were a lot of work. Hope you had more help than I did...

I do like the wines that I make with around 5 lb fruit per gallon. I like strongly flavoured things generally though, so eventually I'll try making wine with 100% juice - but to do that, I'll need a press and a pH meter. Maybe next summer.

And I'm in lovely Nanaimo. I've been to Quadra, but never Cortes.

I/we used the 6-at-a-time cherry pitter from Lee Valley. Worked great but still a lot of work.

Back