We @#$%^ Up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunken clown

Reaction score
alright today we had a beer a brewing , and in the begining process of the boil kettle just boiling the water, a buddy pulled up the thermometer to check the temp and it sliped off the chain and fell into the pot!:mad: we could not seem to fetch it out, so we was very carefull not to break it! well the day has went by and after we pulled off the last ferm. i took out the thermometer and the tip was broke! still a red line but some has leaked out! the ? is ... should i pour it out or just go on as planed and hope for the best! and maybe die!:cross: haha any feedback will help! hate to pour out 28g. of sweet sweet wheat beer!:( thanx! :drunk:

If it was a mercury thermometer, I wouldnt drink it.......I would have used some tonges or something to fetch it out.....surprised you couldnt get it out before the boil.

Find out what was in the thermometer and if it is env. friendly or what.

IIRC,

Red=alcohol

Gray=mercury

They rarely sell mercury thermometers any more.

<1ml [whatever] alcohol in 5 gallons = don't tell anyone else, continue as planned
:mug:

broken glass.........it was only the very very bottom tip of it that broke off. gonna have to look for it! just a tiny peice, but thats all it took. i will have to filter/strain even more! not as worried about the glass, as i am about the mercury! ha, a lil' glass wont kill ya.....quickly! ha

drunken clown said:
?mercury filled? the beer beer site says it is spirit filled....?????

Mercury filled are the gray metal colored. Any food grade will not be mercury. you should check with More Beer to be sure though.

Back