Ways to introduce dry hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewjangle

Reaction score
I've been reading for quite a while on the different ways to introduce hops during/ after the boil, but the means by doing so has me pondering additional ways to do so that imparts as much flavor and aroma without clouding the beer. I've tried searching to see if this is covered but the topic is so vast that I may have overlooked many ideas. With that in mind I ask for feedback on an idea to see if it has been tried or if someone could list pros and cons to it.
Has anyone ever used kurig k-cup style mini- filters that can be dropped in the fermenter for dry hopping? Would this work to impart the flavor and aroma while still keeping the beer particle free or is the mesh not fine enough to be a barrier? I understand it would most likely take several due to the size, but surely there is a larger product that could hold an entire charge while still fitting through a fermenter opening?

Thoughts?

Hop oils, and to a lesser degree (IMO) particles contribute to a little haze in fresh dry hopped beers. The solid particles that escape a filter should settle out in a few days anyway, especially if you cold crash the fermenter before packaging.

Hop oils are going to get into the beer regardless of straining method.

Consider adding a gelatin/water mix a day or so after the cold crash starts as gelatin works best in cold fluid. I get very clear dry hopped beers with this method. Add one tsp of gelatin to 4-6oz of boiled water (perhaps in a microwaved pyrex measuring cup). Let the mix thicken for a few mins and pour into your fermenter. Rack to a keg or bottling bucket in 5 days.

They make stainless mesh dry hop containers that can be used in kegs, and skinnier versions made for carboys. Honestly though, a good cold crash with some gelatin will clear a beer very effectively without compromising the dry hop.

I just throw my dry hops in a sanitized mesh bag and drop it in. Why complicate things? Plus, I don't think the small containers allow enough beer to get to the hops properly.

Back