Way, way, way over the top Sam Adams Utopia clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's Jae Wilson (don't look at me.... that's just how he spells it) He's also a SSBC member.

... and I took over the presidency for SSBC from Bill last August. (as if that's a big deal...)

Well I blasted it with O2 today. It was very happy. Will be adding the maple syrup on Wednesday with another starter of the 099 Yeast. The starter was made with 3/4lb of light DME and about 1/3 gal of water. Should be happy tomorrow. :)

Will do. THat will be Wednesday or Thursday. Does that sound about right??? Note that this starter is NOT a barley wine. :)

DON'T YOU USE UP ALL MY O2!!!!

(joking)

Hey Chris... sounds like you're going to need that stuff for a couple of days (which is totally cool by me). Don't know if I'm going to be able to make it to TWB during the week after work. Any chance, if you're out and about over the long weekend, you could just swing through and drop it off?

I'm just over behind Wheaton. I'll bribe you with a beer or two.

Actually you will probably have more O2 than you gave us!!! The one you gave us was dead. :) Bought new one today!!!! How about Sunday? I will be gone Saturday to New Hampshire to the in-laws....

Actually you will probably have more O2 than you gave us!!! The one you gave us was dead. :) Bought new one today!!!! How about Sunday? I will be gone Saturday to New Hampshire to the in-laws....

No way! I didn't give a dead canister did I? I can believe that it didn't have a ton in it but I would be surprised (and pretty embarrassed) if I gave you an empty canister. It was the only one I had. :eek:

Either way... I'm not super worried about getting it back, I know where you live.

I'm just pretty sure I wasn't going to be able to get over to TWB and if you were out running errands, I thought maybe you could swing through.

If Sunday works for you, it works for me but like I said, no hurry. I'm not brewing anything until my AG rig is freakin' DONE... once and for all... which should be two short weeks.

:off:

While I'm sittin' here....

Santizing a growler for tomorrow night's SSBC meeting. We've got a stout competition that I'm going to draw off my stout tap for. I run a nitro/CO2 mix through a stout tap.

Whatta ya think about just tossin' the growler in the freezer, taking the nozzle off my stout tap so the aeration disk is gone and just pouring off the tap?

My counter-pressure filler is only for regular bottles (the stopper is too small for growlers and I'm too lazy to fill four/five bottles).

Annnnnnd.... discuss

Besides I live closer, I can stop by his house any time for a beer. :) As long as you don't mind waiting till atleast Thursday I don't mind dropping by even Friday night (possibly after 8 so I can put Makayla to bed), or Sunday. Just let me know.

PTN thanks for the offer but he is like 3 miles away I think I can handle it. :)

Besides I live closer, I can stop by his house any time for a beer. :) As long as you don't mind waiting till atleast Thursday I don't mind dropping by even Friday night (possibly after 8 so I can put Makayla to bed), or Sunday. Just let me know.

PTN thanks for the offer but he is like 3 miles away I think I can handle it. :)

yeah, just hold on to it and we'll figure it out as the week goes on. I'm sure I could scare up a beer or two as a bribe.

You gotta get some pics up of the carboys bubbling away!

Closed fermeneter... Should have taken pics when I added O2... When I add the new starter I will take pics

Paul, Chris and everyone the brew sesh looks like it was a blast! I'm bummed I didn't read about it until now or else i would have come! Congrats on a great recipe, I hope it ferments down with little to no problems.

So to all of you who advised me to try the Loose Cannon at The East Ave Cafe, I give you my thanks. That is a seriously good brew. I had two, switched to my buddy Chris's 'Steel Rail Pale Ale' then back to the Loose Cannon for one for the road. Met up with Drinkswellwithothers (Still one of the greatest names in Homebrewtalk.com history, and a very nice guy regardless of his cool name) and had a nice chat after work tonight.

Marc, we need to do that again soon.
PTN

Paul you went to the East Ave Cafe? fyi... John's coming home tonight and will be around tomorrow and Thursday for multiple beers if you're interested.

I would have called hime to see if he wanted to join us except I knew he was in sunny FL with you. Ask him to give me a call when he gets home and maybe we can hook up, I'm not working today or tomorrow.

PTN

Ooohh. my head hurts. I don't think it was the beers I had at the EAC so much as the two triples that I had when I got home (one of CapeBrrwings and some other unlabled sample that was left over after Saturday) that pushed me into hangoverland.

Hey! The EAC! How f'ing cool is that. One of the best beer bar's around with THAT as an acroynym! I love it! I'm thiinking that based on that alone we need to hold the next get together of the 'New England Brewers' ( a group I just formed 4 seconds ago) at the EAC.

PTN

So to all of you who advised me to try the Loose Cannon at The East Ave Cafe, I give you my thanks. That is a seriously good brew. I had two, switched to my buddy Chris's 'Steel Rail Pale Ale' then back to the Loose Cannon for one for the road. Met up with Drinkswellwithothers (Still one of the greatest names in Homebrewtalk.com history, and a very nice guy regardless of his cool name) and had a nice chat after work tonight.

Marc, we need to do that again soon.
PTN

Yeah that Loose Cannon is one tasty brew huh? The Hoppin' Frog BORIS was pretty damn good too.

I love the "EAC". I went there for the first time a few weeks ago but now its definitely one of new favorite places.

Clipper City makes a few really nice beers. They have saison that's pretty damn good too. Kinsale over in Govt Center (I have lunch there at least once a week) always has a couple Clipper City beers on tap and always Loose Cannon.

Southern Teir makes a really really nice Imp IPA as well.

Had the Sam Choc Bock at Kinsale this past week.... umm... DAMN.. really really good.

They have the Loose Cannon at Jake's on moody st in Waltham sometimes, along with BBC, Stone and Dogfish beers. It's not the best beer bar, but it does the job.

Clipper City makes a few really nice beers. They have saison that's pretty damn good too. Kinsale over in Govt Center (I have lunch there at least once a week) always has a couple Clipper City beers on tap and always Loose Cannon.

Southern Teir makes a really really nice Imp IPA as well.

Had the Sam Choc Bock at Kinsale this past week.... umm... DAMN.. really really good.

Just bought the Sam Choc Bock, cant wait to try it tonight...

Just bought the Sam Choc Bock, cant wait to try it tonight...

Had a club meeting last night adn mentioned the Choc Bock and guys seem to think the bottle didn't match up to off the tap. Obviously a lot of beers are a bit better on draft but they were saying it was a dramitic difference for hte Choc Bock for some reason.

You'll have to let me know what you think.

Had a club meeting last night adn mentioned the Choc Bock and guys seem to think the bottle didn't match up to off the tap. Obviously a lot of beers are a bit better on draft but they were saying it was a dramitic difference for hte Choc Bock for some reason.

I haven't had it on tap. But it is one tasty brew.

Yeah that Loose Cannon is one tasty brew huh? The Hoppin' Frog BORIS was pretty damn good too.

I love the "EAC". I went there for the first time a few weeks ago but now its definitely one of new favorite places.

I went by there last night on my way home from the airport. The next time your in don't miss the Southern Tier Chocolate stout. It's like chocolate milk beer just incredible.

I would have called hime to see if he wanted to join us except I knew he was in sunny FL with you. Ask him to give me a call when he gets home and maybe we can hook up, I'm not working today or tomorrow.

PTN

Ooohh. my head hurts. I don't think it was the beers I had at the EAC so much as the two triples that I had when I got home (one of CapeBrrwings and some other unlabled sample that was left over after Saturday) that pushed me into hangoverland.

Hey! The EAC! How f'ing cool is that. One of the best beer bar's around with THAT as an acroynym! I love it! I'm thiinking that based on that alone we need to hold the next get together of the 'New England Brewers' ( a group I just formed 4 seconds ago) at the EAC.

PTN

Nice call PTN. Hope to meet up soon.

I had a couple bottles of this, drank one after buying it. It was okay, nothing fantastic and DEFINITELY not worth the ~16 bucks per bottle that I paid. It just felt a little thin and lacking that wonderful mouthfeel that I love about bocks...I still have another bottle and am waiting for a reason to open it.

I considered trying the Choc Bock, but at less than 6% abv, and at more than $10 at the *cheap* store in town ($18 at my favorite bottle bar).....

I just have other beers I have to try first. Can't subvert my priorities! :D

So I wandered down into the kitchen this morning and realized I had left the flask with the sample of the Utopia on the windowsill. It had a pretty good krausen on it (I dipped it out of the fermentor before we closed it up, it had the 099 yeast in it) so I dropped the hydrometer back in. It settled at around 1.110, down a lot more than I expected. Chris says the ferment is blasting along in his closet (Having the brew in the closet probably keeps Chris company) We had an additional vial of the 099 so we made up a regualr strenth starter with it, will add the maple sugar to the starter and oxygenate the bejesus out of that, then add it to the main fermentor tomorrow. Things are moving along well so far.

I had a couple bottles of this, drank one after buying it. It was okay, nothing fantastic and DEFINITELY not worth the ~16 bucks per bottle that I paid. It just felt a little thin and lacking that wonderful mouthfeel that I love about bocks...I still have another bottle and am waiting for a reason to open it.

yeah, I was really surprised that it was that much in a bottle. It wasn't any more than any other regular beer on tap at Kinsale. That's too bad that it wasn't that impressive in the bottle (what I had heard). Like I was saying, it was really good on tap.

Sorry PTN and Chris... we're off topic here. I'll shut up on this now.

Latest posts

Back