Way to warm up fermenting kombucha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grad

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm getting back into kombucha making and I'm looking for a way to warm up the brew since my house is pretty cool right now. The best looking thing I have come across is the "kombucha mamma year round heating system with dimmer" which is made and sold in the US.

I'm hoping people on here have tried it so I can get some input on if it's worth buying before ordering it.

Any input is much appreciated,

Graham

What temp is your house?

I've brewed booch down at 65F.

One option is to wrap your fermenter in an insulator and keep the heat that it produces.

Hi,

I have also encountered a temp problem with my first fermentation...

3 days into my first fermentation, mother accidentally puts the batch into the refridgerator — if i bring back out and let it rise to room temp again, will ferment continue? Or is the batch ruined?? Mother scoby appears healthy and baby scoby has left the top of the jar, appears healthy....

Thanks in advance!

You can get an inkbird seedling mat for cheap if you just want a gentle rise to about 10F above room temperature.

Thanks for the information --- first signs of resuming fermentation are bubbles?

Kombucha doesn't bubble vigorously like beer. You have to look at the pellicle that forms and smell the kombucha to know everything is okay. I wouldn't worry about the cold. Be more worried about contamination.

It was in the fridge for 5 hours max, now it's back in its fermenting environment, will look at top pellicle tomorrow, smell coming off it out of fridge was good.

Just leave it in the dark for two weeks--forget about it, and then take a look at it, smell it, and measure the pH ...get it to 3.0 to 3.3 and it'll taste perfect.

Back