Water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallsc111

Reaction score
What kind of water do you use for your home brew? I know my tap water has a lot of chlorine in it so I know I need to get some bottled water. But should I buy distilled, mineral water, or something else?

Thanks Guys,

MC

I just had my first brew day 5 days ago, and I used just regular ol' tap water. Our is Chlorinated as well. All i did, was the evening before I just let it sit and dissipate the chlorine.

Also, I'm pretty sure that just the fact of it boiling for an hour would do away with the chlorine.

The problem with letting it sit open overnight to evaporate the chlorine is that other things will settle into it. And store brand spring water is pretty cheap,so I get just enough to top off with. A couple bucks tops.

if you wanna be cheap, just get gallon jugs and preboil your water for 15 mins, then fill and refrigerate

RO water, I collect a couple gallons a day from my home system and store it in 5 gallon water bottles, I have 10 gallons of water about every 5 days to brew with. You can also get it for about .40 per gallon from water stores/dispensing stations.

I use tap water for everything that will be boiled and gallon jugs of spring water for everything else. It's like 88 cents a gallon so it's pretty decently priced.

I would suggest moving to Portland, Oregon. Our water here is almost identical to Pilsen Czech Republic, very soft and very low mineral content! I use water straight from the tap!

Otherwise what everyone else has said. Fitering is good for chlorine but does not work for chloramine which takes a little more work like Campden tabs.

You may not want to use distilled water if you do all grain as the lack of minerals can cause poor mash results and mineral water is pretty expensive!

I use filtered tap water for the steeping grains and bottled (2 1/2 gallon) jugs of spring or drinking water for the boil. Takes too long to filter tap water for the boil:) Pez.

I used to use filtered tap....
I have moved to Poland spring. Its not just the chlorine you have to worry about.
My tap water has high sulphates, which caused all my beers to be overly bitter.
I recommend Poland spring water.

Normally I use tap water, but I found Ice Mountain on sale in 2.5 gallon jugs and bought 6 of them. I brewed an IPA this past weekend so I'll soon see if I notice any difference. I plan on filtering my tap water in the future.

Reverse osmosis water from those "water machines" at the grocery store is perfect. It's cheap, at least at my store at $.78 cents for three gallons, and it's easy to carry in two three gallon containers.

I was gonna use some of those 3gal promo water jugs as a carboy just wondering what size bung they used

Back