Water profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etxflyer

Reaction score
Finally figured out that my tap water was the culprit to my underwhelming brews and have switched to distilled water which made a vast improvement. Trying to play with Brewfather and water profiles. Just wondering where to get the minerals to add, and if anyone had any suggestions about doing this with Brewfather app. TIA

Typical "water salts" for brewing include calcium chloride, gypsum, sodium chloride, epsom salts, chalk, and baking soda. I can say I always use the first four listed, but have never used the last two. If you have a brewing supply store handy, they will have the first two, the rest you can pick up at a grocery - except for the chalk, probably, but again I've never used it in ~18 years of brewing.

I don't use Brewfather so will leave that to those many folks here that do :)

Cheers!

Typical "water salts" for brewing include calcium chloride, gypsum, sodium chloride, epsom salts, chalk, and baking soda. I can say I always use the first four listed, but have never used the last two. If you have a brewing supply store handy, they will have the first two, the rest you can pick up at a grocery - except for the chalk, probably, but again I've never used it in ~18 years of brewing.

I don't use Brewfather so will leave that to those many folks here that do :)

Cheers!
Thanks! I live in the middle of nowhere, so LHBS is out for me, but appreciate the info!

Yeah, I've driven across Texas three times, once each on I-10, I-20 and I-40, and there's a whole lot of nowhere to be found ;)
If you do mail order any home brewing supplier will have all of those salts...

Cheers!

Food grade Ca and Mg salts are easy to buy online. The sulfates, carbonates and chlorides of Ca and Epsom salt (MgSO4) are all you need to build any water profile you want. Baking soda (NaHCO3) and non-iodized table salt (NaCl) also come in handy.

Just checked you can buy Gypsum, Calcium Chloride and Epsom salts from Amazon UK therefore certainly you can in the US. Bicarb and common salt from a shop and I’ve never used chalk since I was at school.

Latest posts

Back