Water report vs pH meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
Ward Labs measured my pH at 9.6 last month. I just measured using my Hanna pH meter (which I calibrated) and I got 5.6. Is Ward Labs doing something different to measure pH?

Edit: I let the meter sit for a few minutes and it went up to 6.6. Still off from Ward Labs

I may need to start using RO water so I don't have to deal with these changes lol

Forget about the pH of your water. It doesn't matter (has almost no effect on mash pH). What matters is the alkalinity of your water, as that is what will have the major effect on your mash pH, which is what you care about in the end.

Brew on :mug:

Forget about the pH of your water. It doesn't matter (has almost no effect on mash pH). What matters is the alkalinity of your water, as that is what will have the major effect on your mash pH, which is what you care about in the end.

Brew on :mug:

Yeah I know but if mash pH can change that drastically, I'm thinking the minerals and alkalinity can too. My pH was 9.6 and it is now 6.6. Something in my water changed within the last month.

Yeah I know but if mash pH can change that drastically, I'm thinking the minerals and alkalinity can too. My pH was 9.6 and it is now 6.6. Something in my water changed within the last month.

If your alkalinity is low, the pH can swing pretty wildly with minor changes to the supply. That's the whole point of wanting low alkalinity, your malt and acid additions set the mash pH without having to overcome the water itself.

In the end, your pH was swinging because of larger changes or small changes. So basically you still know nothing without knowing alkalinity. High pH generally indicates higher alkalinity, but not always. A simple gH/kH test kit can tell you a lot.

If your alkalinity is low, the pH can swing pretty wildly with minor changes to the supply. That's the whole point of wanting low alkalinity, your malt and acid additions set the mash pH without having to overcome the water itself.

In the end, your pH was swinging because of larger changes or small changes. So basically you still know nothing without knowing alkalinity. High pH generally indicates higher alkalinity, but not always. A simple gH/kH test kit can tell you a lot.

For something that seems so simple, water is really complicated lol

Might be time to look at a RO system for my brew basement. Would be easier to know I have nothing in my water and always start from scratch.

I am seeing the same thing, I moved to a new house and ordered a water analysis from Ward Labs. The PH reading on my report is 9.0 and the TDS is 343. When I test it with my Milwaukee 101 and my TDS meter I get readings of 6.98 PH and 233 TDS. I just installed an RO system and ordered a new test, we'll see if its more consistent once I get those results back.

I just installed an RO system too. My tds is now down to 4. I may have a very small amount of minerals but it wouldn't make a difference so I'm using 0ppm for everything and starting fresh. I like having this ro system. Used it for starsan too. It will last longer using ro

I've noticed my starsan lasting longer with RO water as well. And is always stays clear and even smells the same after a few weeks.
RO water has changed my brewing for the better and taken my beers to the next level though it's still a learning curve for me.

Latest posts

Back