Water Report Gives Ranges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamInNJ

Reaction score
I'm a couple batches in with extract brewing and starting to look forward to transitioning to BIAB all grain. One big change seems to be that I need to care about my water (can't just dump distilled in with the extract). Everything I've read said water reports should list averages and brew water software seems to want a specific number. My local water report lists a range though and I'm not quite sure how to proceed. Any input would be helpful!!!

I attached a picture of part of the water report for reference.

Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 12.25.59 PM.png

This report is minimally useful. I would ignore it.

You have a few options for all-grain brewing water.

1. Brew with your tapwater blind to mineral profile and treat it with Campden tabs to eliminate chlorine and chloramines.

If the beer is to your liking, success. Given the info in your report, this water is going to be better suited to brewing darker beers like stouts, porters etc

2. Proceed blind as above but follow the useful and simple tips in this thread.

3. Use 100% RO water (39c/gallon at Wallmart) and build your water profile to taste/style with additions of appropriate salts. (Do not use chalk)

4. Get an accurate water report of your tap water from Ward Labs. Adjust minerals up or down by cutting the tap water with RO and adding minerals as needed.

Be sure to treat any tap water you use for brewing to eliminate chlorine/chloramines at a cost of roughly 2c/10gallons.

CT-100.jpg

Bru'n Water is a trove of great information. Lots to learn there.

Thanks a ton! #2 in your post really helped with knowing that I can start simple.

Back