Water Report and mash PH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn0522

Reaction score
So i want to focus this year on taking good beer to great and I really want to learn more on how to treat my water (or give up on my water and buy bottled water or filter). I also want to better understand mash PH. I do have a water report. Would anyone be willing to assist me in using a software and understanding target water profiles and mash PH? Im not looking for "post your water profile and well tell you what to do"

So i want to focus this year on taking good beer to great and I really want to learn more on how to treat my water (or give up on my water and buy bottled water or filter). I also want to better understand mash PH. I do have a water report. Would anyone be willing to assist me in using a software and understanding target water profiles and mash PH? Im not looking for "post your water profile and well tell you what to do"

Right here, brotha.

I use Beersmith2. From what I understand, it's not the most comprehensive water program, but at the homebrewer's level, it's as good as we need.

Download Beersmith2, Install it *i think you get a 14 day free trial, 20bucks or so after, worth it*, PM me, and we'll set up an hour where I'll walk you through it over the phone. Teach a man to use his water report, and he brews for life.:rockin:

:mug:

I have to disagree- Beersmith is absolutely useless for water chemistry and predicting mash pH. I love the program for other things, but the water chemistry stuff is horrible and will lead you down the wrong path.

here is the best place I've found: https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/water-knowledge That page is a basic "water knowledge" page, and really helps make sense out of some of the things we want (or don't water) in our water.

Then, if you go to the main page, there is a downloadable spreadsheet (free) that can help you predict a likely mash pH based on your water and your recipe. It can also help you adjust your sparge water. There is a learning curve, but mchrispen here on the forum has a free tutorial, and we are all here to help with any questions.

I have to disagree- Beersmith is absolutely useless for water chemistry and predicting mash pH. I love the program for other things, but the water chemistry stuff is horrible and will lead you down the wrong path.

here is the best place I've found: https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/water-knowledge That page is a basic "water knowledge" page, and really helps make sense out of some of the things we want (or don't water) in our water.

Then, if you go to the main page, there is a downloadable spreadsheet (free) that can help you predict a likely mash pH based on your water and your recipe. It can also help you adjust your sparge water. There is a learning curve, but mchrispen here on the forum has a free tutorial, and we are all here to help with any questions.

Yooper,

My plan for our member is to use the water profile he has in hand in Beersmith, make adjustments, take mash PH, and further adjust. NEVER has this process been detrimental and introducing Brunwater to a novice is sure to scare most people away from water period. Just like I advocate for beginners NOT to secondary, I advocate stepping into better water understanding as a whole.

But if you have the time, lead the way

Yooper,

My plan for our member is to use the water profile he has in hand in Beersmith, make adjustments, take mash PH, and further adjust. NEVER has this process been detrimental and introducing Brunwater to a novice is sure to scare most people away from water period. Just like I advocate for beginners NOT to secondary, I advocate stepping into better water understanding as a whole.

But if you have the time, lead the way

I feel very strongly that follow any "water profile" is a disaster in most cases, and will generally not help with mash pH.

Either follow the water primer (RO water with a little calcium chloride and/or gypsum), or learn how to do it yourself with a spreadsheet, but never follow a "water profile". That will almost guarantee a problem, as you don't know what the brewers in Munich did with that Munich water as an example (preboiled?, decarbonated?, etc) before using it.

There is also a good spreadsheet and great discussion in the brew science forum. I've used various incarnations of that spreadsheet with excellent results. Also get a pH meter.

+1 for Bru'n Water. After I played with it for a few hours I was able to navigate it with ease. I consider it the most valuable tool I have for brewing. There is a Youtube vid or two that does a walkthrough, or members here , including Martin, are very quick to help answer any questions regarding the program.

Maybe start with Water by Palmer as a reference (like 12 bucks on amazon) so that when you go to use the software you will know a thing or two about what is going on behind the scenes. I think to use the software you should know a thing or two about alkalinity for starters.

Gotta agree with Yooper regarding Beersmith and water, I'm a BS fan but it's useless for mash pH. If you are intimidated by Bru'n water I have had good luck with Brewer's Friend, it usually gets the mash pH pretty close. You enter your recipe then import it over to the water calculator. Whichever you choose definitely read the Bru'n water knowledge page linked above, great resource to help understand the issue.

Another +1 for Bru N water spreadsheet. With some time watching vids on YouTube, playin' around with it, and some tips from @Yooper I went from pretty darn good beers to great beers! It's FREE for crying out loud, give it a try ( ;

So i want to focus this year on taking good beer to great and I really want to learn more on how to treat my water (or give up on my water and buy bottled water or filter). I also want to better understand mash PH.

Do you really want to understand it or do you just want to know how to manage it?

I do have a water report. Would anyone be willing to assist me in using a software and understanding target water profiles and mash PH?
Those are two different things really. You can use software successfully without really understanding what it going on. If you really understand what is going on you will be writing your own software. It is not that difficult.

I am assuming it is the former. In which case I echo what the others have said. Stay away from Beersmith. I found some pretty glaring errors in there. I also agree that Brewers Friend is probably the most robust of what is out there as it is firmly based on the science.

I also echo the caveat against following profiles - especially ones that specify bicarbonate requirements. If you know how to read around those you will do OK but that requires a fair level of understanding.

Thanks for everyones insight. I have been looking at brewersfriend and ezwater. I want to use brewnwater but dont currently have a desk top to put it on (will soon though). Looks like i may need to look at RO system or buyong water. It appears it will take more lactic acid to get PH down than is advisable.

Maybe start with Water by Palmer as a reference (like 12 bucks on amazon) so that when you go to use the software you will know a thing or two about what is going on behind the scenes. I think to use the software you should know a thing or two about alkalinity for starters.

Agree with this.

I have been using Brunwater for 2 yrs and love it.
Also been reading Water for about 2 weeks and it has really opened up my water understanding

Back