Water Ratios?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KendallAdkins

Reaction score
I've looked around on here and found some pretty good info on water ratios. I just want to throw out what I'm about to do to make sure I don't have any flawed math.

Total Grain Bill is 8 lbs for a 3 gallon batch.

1.5 quarts per lb puts me at 3 gallons for mash.
Grain loss of 1 pint per lb puts me at 2.5 gallons.
So, if I sparge with 1.5 gallons, that puts me at a 4 gallon preboil wort.

Any flaws there? Should I account for trub loss at all or will too much water mess with my efficiency? Hop absorption seems minor. Using 3 ounces of pellets in boil and 1 for dry hopping.

Thanks!

3 gallons for mash... 1 pint per lb of grain loss = 8 pints = 1 gallon loss (not 2.5 gallons). So before sparge, you have about 2 gallons depending on your set up. Sparge away as necessary to meet your final boil volume... I'm guessing between 3.5 and 4 gallons. You can probably account for some trub loss if you prefer to leave that behind, but keep in mind that will affect your sugars (if you add more sparge to account for trub loss, you effectively lower your gravity, just make sure you take note of that). The gravity of the boiling wort does affect the hop extraction, but I think it's fairly negligible if were talking a quart or so....

8 pints is a gallon. I'm an idiot. Lol. I'm a chef and former math major, so that was just a brain fart.

3 gallons for mash... 1 pint per lb of grain loss = 8 pints = 1 gallon loss (not 2.5 gallons). So before sparge, you have about 2 gallons depending on your set up. Sparge away as necessary to meet your final boil volume... I'm guessing between 3.5 and 4 gallons. You can probably account for some trub loss if you prefer to leave that behind, but keep in mind that will affect your sugars (if you add more sparge to account for trub loss, you effectively lower your gravity, just make sure you take note of that). The gravity of the boiling wort does affect the hop extraction, but I think it's fairly negligible if were talking a quart or so....

Okay, so I will go with a 3 gallon mash and a 2.25 gallon sparge. The extra quart should account for a little trub loss without ruining my effeciency.

Back