water question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dillsandwitch

Reaction score
This is mainly to do with my making of spitits but is a valid query for mead too.

Our local water sully has fluoride in it. will this be bad for the end result for both making and watering down my spirits after i have distilled it? and is it also bad for the mead?

should i be buying bottled water or using the distiller to purify water to be used in all brews. my dad uses his tank water so he doesnt have a problem but i dont have a tank at my place and i really dont wanna be carting water from his place ever other week or so that i start a new brew.

thanks in advance

If your tap water tastes fine, then it is fine to use in your mead. The water is very hard where I live, so I use the plain-jane spring water that comes in 1 gallon bottles.

Do not use distilled water in your mead.

If your tap water tastes fine, then it is fine to use in your mead. The water is very hard where I live, so I use the plain-jane spring water that comes in 1 gallon bottles.

Do not use distilled water in your mead.
Which, depending on where it was bottled, is no guarantee that it doesn't have a high/higher level of calcium and magnesium salts, naturally dissolved in it.

Any doubt and it would be better to use RO (reverse osmosis) or distilled water. Then use nutrients to provide what the yeast needs (the tiny amount found in water, can usually be discounted anyway - it's in too smaller quantity to be of real concern, plus it would appear that "soft" water produces better meads and other brewing mixes anyway)

Back