Juice instead of water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nateshow

Reaction score
I made a mead years ago, but never got to drink it…sooo, I’ll say this is my first. My question is: is there a problem to use juice (like watermelon) instead of straight water? I’ll use blackberry as the main fruit… Sorry if this doesn’t make sense, I have medical problems with words anymore.

Absolutely! I have a batch of blueberry going now. 1G batch, 3# honey, 32oz blueberry juice. Be sure the juice doesn't have preservatives such as sorbates.
I would just pick them from the plant… got a few growing right now. I’m not ready for it right now, though. We had some bees given to us recently, so gotta wait for them

Juice works, just make sure it isn’t already having preservatives that would prevent fermentation.
I have no experience with watermelon but have seen on other forums/ groups that people who tried to use watermelon were disappointed in the results.

Juice is great! Your flavors will be much deeper and your mouthfeel will often be thicker and smoother.

It can get complicated though, here are some things to consider...

1. Use juices that don’t have preservatives
2. Avoid “from concentrate” juices if possible.
3. If using fresh pressed be sure to get juice that is either pasteurized or use campden tablets to kill off wild yeasts.
4. Depending on the kid of juice used, acid balances may become a challenge. High acid juices, combined with the acidity of fermented honey can cause primary fermentation stalls.
5. Always use pectic enzymes to reduce pectin haze

Some good addvice above:

"From Concentrate" juice gives you a known flavor profile and tells you exactly how much sugar you have added. However, often without the more complex flavors fresh pressed brings.

Pectic Enxyme isnt always necessary. But a good practice up front for any fresh pressed. If it doesnt clear using any of the fining agents and or time then it is likely pectin haze and prectic enzyme could be used. Many melomels are left with a haze and doesnt hurt it. ( I personnaly prefer a crystal clear mead. As such use it when necesary.)

The one thing about using juice is that it is likely to add another , say 50 points of sugar to your mead, so if you use say 2 lbs of honey per gallon (US) and you dissolve that honey in apple juice (as an example) then you will have about 70 points of sugar from the honey and 50 points from the juice , and so a starting garvity 1.120 - or a potential ABV of more than 16%. If all you want is the buzz from the alcohol, you have it, but most mead and wine balances at around 12=-14% ABV... So, you may want to consider whether you want to reduce the amount of honey in such a batch to perhaps 1.5 lbs/ gallon.

Back