Water quality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really enough info in that report; no Calcium, Magnesium, Sulfate, carbonate pH alkalinity or hardness.

That being said, how is the water?
If/when you mix StarSan with it does it immediately turn cloudy? (means lots of carbonate/hardness)
Does it smell like chlorine? (just use a potasium metabisulfite tablet per 20gal)

When I started, I did extract batches with steeping grains using straight tap water and it makes fine beer.

If you really want to dive down the rabbit hole of water adjustment, I suggest you first read this and also go get a Ward Labs water report for your specific water.

It's missing important mineral information, such as calcium, sulfates, chlorides, bicarbonates. My water company releases a water quality report but also a more detailed report I was able to dig up online that provided more detailed info. Do some googling and see if there's any other reports out there.

A Ward report is only a snapshot, the water composition may change (even drastically) with the seasons and other natural events.
Instead, call your water company and ask for the levels of these minerals:
  • Calcium
  • Magnesium
  • Sulfate
  • Chloride
  • Alkalinity
  • Hardness
Although these should be filtered out at the water plant, ask about residual levels of:
  • Iron
  • Manganese
They may also be able to tell you how stable those levels are, or how much fluctuation there is.

Looks like Sodium is 3.3 (ppm ?)

Latest posts

Back