Water Profile for Two Hearted Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
I'm brewing up my Two Hearted Clone. I've loved this beer for over a year now. I keep it on tap constantly. However, I've decided to go to blank slate RO water and build my profiles instead of messing with my water profile. What would be good numbers to use for this beer? I couldn't get phosphoric acid so I found lactic at the LHBS to correct the mash if it needs it. I've got a great speadsheet to help me figure out the amounts. But I need to know what I'm shooting for with R/A, my cal/sulf ratio, etc.

Thanks for the help everyone. This is my first voyage into water profiles!

I had good results with my IPA using 300 ppm sulfate. I had 51 ppm chloride, but I think it could have been lower with no issues. Don't be afraid of high bicarbonates, add whatever you need to match your SRM. IMO the important thing for IPA is very high sulfates and very low sodium and chloride.

I had good results with my IPA using 300 ppm sulfate. I had 51 ppm chloride, but I think it could have been lower with no issues. Don't be afraid of high bicarbonates, add whatever you need to match your SRM. IMO the important thing for IPA is very high sulfates and very low sodium and chloride.

Thanks, I'll take that into consideration. :mug:

I would also second the 300ish to 50ppm SO4 to Cl. And then just make sure you have >50ppm Ca and some Mg (10-30ppm). Adjust your RA to the range per Palmer's recommendations based on SRM. I think that will work out well.

I have used this with great results in my pale ales... It is in the Brewater 3.0 library.

MOSHER IDEAL PALE ALE
Ca=111, SO4=337, Mg=18, Na=35, Cl=32, CO3=38, Hardness=352, Alkalinity=31.

What is this Brewater 3.0 Library you speak of?

Brewater 3.0 is a program. Basically, the slickest water profile program I know of.

You tell it your current water profile.
You tell it your target.

BAM, it spits out exactly what salts you need and the quantities. You do nothing.

To add to the awesomeness... it has a library of water profiles, anything you can think of, if you want to use them as your target profile.

Well, from me and others who have it I guess. It really is... awesome.

Playing with Brewater3.0 Pretty cool. how close to the target numbers are we shooting for reasonably here? IE are we fine within 10 points, or will we notice a difference between 1 point?

Latest posts

Back