Water or vodka in airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superstorm

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm still fairly new at brewing and figuring more things out each batch I make. When I was removing by blowoff tube today to replace with an s shaped airlock, I came across posts about most people using starsan or vodka in their airlocks. For all of the past batches I've made, I've just filled the airlock with bottled water and they've turned out fine. But should I be using vodka instead? I don't want to use starsan just in case a suck back happens and my beer is ruined. This batch is in a swamp cooler though and I don't know if that increases the risk of contamination or not. And if I should use vodka instead, do I need to sanitize my airlock again before adding the vodka?

I was using cheap vodka since any nasties getting into it would die of alcohol poisoning. Then I started using this 80 proof white lightnin stuff my son's company was sent to make BBQ sauce with. Mixed it 50/50 with Starsan. Starsan is safe to use & will break down into yeast nutrient in the fermenter should a suck back occur.

I was using bottled water for years and never had any problems, then I switched to using StarSan in my airlocks and still have yet to have any problems (knock on wood). Don't forget that the Egyptians, Germans, Belgians, English, and everyone else had been making beer for hundreds of years before the invention of StarSan or the though of sanitization. Beer is some pretty hardy stuff, so don't sweat it. :D

That being said, I'll probably be freaking out about some mundane thing later this afternoon.

Yeah even not so far back we would consider a lot of the beer infected. Mitch Steele talked about how the original IPA had to have had Brett in it.

That was entirely possible, given the use of wooden barrels & fermenting vessels at the time. We also had a thread discussion on here about the proof of neutral spirits needed to actually kill some of the badder nasties. But grain alcohol would evaporate quicker. So I started using 80 proof clear spirits mixed with Starsan to give it a better chance of killing nasties that get into the airlock, but not hurt the fermenting wort.

I've always used Star San and never had a problem. It's not enough that I'd ever worry even if it did find its way into the beer - which has never happened to me.

But from what I read, they also had a lot of bad batches from lack of sanitation. Or batches that didn't ferment, etc.

True story. And the Egyptians would punish brewers who made bad beer by drowning them in their own beer.

When I toured one of the many breweries in Germany, I was told that the Germans referred to beer as the nectar of the gods because the original brewers thought that fermentation was caused by divine intervention, and that the gods would only allow the beer to ferment if it was a good recipe.

That being said, Theakston still ferments it's beer in open-top fermentation vessels that are not controlled in anyway. They bring tour groups right past the fermenters on a daily basis, so close that you could reach in to grab a sample if you were so inclined.

Neither. Use Starsan, you've got at least a gallon of it anyway.

You could loosely cover your airlock with a Starsan-ed plastic cup or plastic wrap if you're afraid "nasties" may drop out of the sky or from the ceiling.

Yeah, I remember reading that stuff. One article I read noted that there was yeast caked up on the rafters of the brewery & would settle into the wort, causing fermentation. They just didn't know to put 2 & 2 together. Or that stick thing that I suppose the yeast clung to. Or the krausen foam being used again. But the Egyptians were a short-tempered lot to be sure. And since the monument workers were paid in beer, I guess they couldn't afford bad batches?
And yes, it's always a good idea to keep your airlocks cleaned & sanitized before use. And the #1 reason I mix spirits with Starsan is that starsan alone will foam up & out the top of the airlock cap if It isn't cut 50/50 with the spirits. My 2c from observations anyway.

I use Starsan in my airlock. no need to worry about suck back it won't hurt your beer. I don't drink vodka or any clear liquor and I don't see a need to buy it just to put in my airlock when I have perfectly good Starsan.:mug:

At this point, I'm primarily using the clear liquor to cut the foaming characteristics of the Starsan. It'll all foam up & out otherwise, causing periodic refills of the airlock. Besides providing some additional protection.

I've always used water, no problems. I've seen pictures of someone taking an alcohol reading of high proof liquor with a hydrometer in a plastic tube, the kind that comes with most hydrometers and the plastic disintegrated. The plastic that the airlocks are made out of feels similar, I wouldn't put alcohol in it.

The microbes would have to come in through the tiny holes in the top, into the water, then your carboy would have to cool off and suck air back in through the airlock and the microbes if they survived would have to become airborne and then finally compete with the yeast.

I have alway used Starsan. I fill a spray bottle with Starsan when I mix a fresh batch for each brew day, and spray it into the airlock just before I put it in the bung.

I put it in the bung.

heh heh heh heh you said bung
Beavis-Butthead.png

I've always used water, no problems. I've seen pictures of someone taking an alcohol reading of high proof liquor with a hydrometer in a plastic tube, the kind that comes with most hydrometers and the plastic disintegrated. The plastic that the airlocks are made out of feels similar, I wouldn't put alcohol in it.

The microbes would have to come in through the tiny holes in the top, into the water, then your carboy would have to cool off and suck air back in through the airlock and the microbes if they survived would have to become airborne and then finally compete with the yeast.

Those plastic hydrometers like Cooper's gives now isn't the same plastic as the airlocks are made out of. I've never had any problems with 80 proof clear liquor &/or Starsan in them. Otherwise, no, nasties aren't ninja acrobats. But as you mentioned, a suck-back or partial vacuum would get them into the fermenting wort & infect it. But Starsan &/or alcohol will take care of them so they won't be able to do anything.

I had a very active fermentation once which foamed the StarSan so I switched to vodka. Not blaming the StarSan for foaming out though, I just didn't pay close enough sttention to the fermentation temperature.

StarSan. I'm assuming you dilute it according to pkg. directions??? It's food-grade phosphoric acid plus a trace of surfactant. It's been in soft drinks since forever.
Forget vodka, it's not strong enuf. If you affix a moistened-cotton filter tube downstream of the bubbler, all particles will be trapped in event of suckback.
If you have blowouts, your batch may be too large, or ferm'g too warm. Mine start at OG of 56, cook for 4 days while bubbling about 4/sec., then slow down. No problem.

I had a very active fermentation once which foamed the StarSan so I switched to vodka. Not blaming the StarSan for foaming out though, I just didn't pay close enough sttention to the fermentation temperature.

I use StarSan, and I like the foam (at least a bit of it). If I see foam, I know there have been CO2 bubbles released recently. Of course, bubbles airlocks are not the best indicator of fermentation, but that is a topic for another (200) thread(s).

I've used both, right now I primarily use starsan, especially since I don't have vodka in my house. My first and second batches I used vodka and when I would start bottling my friend would drink the vodka.

Vodka. I occasionally cold condition in primary at near freezing temperatures. The fermentation chamber dips below freezing, this causes the airlock water to freeze. Plus air does bubble in while the temperature drops, and if any liquid comes in, I'd rather it be vodka.

I use Starsan. Related to that, I "know a guy" who forgot to pull the hose from his blow off up and when he crash cooled his beer it sucked at least a cup of starsan back into the carboy. The beer carbed and tasted like the Starsan wasn't even there.

I use Starsan. Related to that, I "know a guy" who forgot to pull the hose from his blow off up and when he crash cooled his beer it sucked at least a cup of starsan back into the carboy. The beer carbed and tasted like the Starsan wasn't even there.

I was one of those guys. 4 cups sucked back into two carboys of Biermumchers blonde. Just made it even lighter.

Water for 30 years without an issue, but Starsan on the rare occasion when I feel more ambitious.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It would evaporate faster. I started using 80 proof clear liquor mixed 50/50 with Starsan in my 3-piece airlock. Works great & no foaming.

I was using bottled water for years and never had any problems, then I switched to using StarSan in my airlocks and still have yet to have any problems (knock on wood). Don't forget that the Egyptians, Germans, Belgians, English, and everyone else had been making beer for hundreds of years before the invention of StarSan or the though of sanitization. Beer is some pretty hardy stuff, so don't sweat it. :D

That being said, I'll probably be freaking out about some mundane thing later this afternoon.

lol not all the beer they made was that good. That's the main reason for the take off of lagers. Since lagers ferment colder, the colder temps made it harder for wild yeast and bacteria to infect the beer. So the result was a cleaner better tasting beer. before lagers they didn't have as much consistency.

These days cause of proper sanitation and temp control, we can get some ales to taste almost as clean as lagers.

How about using glycerin in the airlock? It won't evaporate. And if it does suck-back, it shouldn't hurt anything.
That might be more useful for meads and wines that need to sit a long time for bulk aging.

When I was transferred to Ford in Cinci years ago, we used glycol as a cutting/cooling fluid in the machines we ran. It did indeed absorb microbes & had to be filtered or replaced as needed. So the answer here would be no in my opinion. Didn't think of this before.

Back