Water kefir "film"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinergy

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a jug where I usually brew my water kefir (with the kefir organisms + water and sugar, that is :) ). I left this jug for a while alone and it has developed a whitish thin film on the surface, 1 mm thick more or less, and I wonder what that is.
Is it edible or is it better to discard it?
It looks very similar to the kombutcha "thing" when in its first stages or when it develops a new layer....(so I wonder if I could use it to make kombucha...)

I don't know about kefir but my booch is around pH 2.85-3.0 and tasty. If your pH is high it might not be safe. I would measure the pH before first.

I don't know about kefir but my booch is around pH 2.85-3.0 and tasty. If your pH is high it might not be safe. I would measure the pH before first.
Are you referring at that not having drank it for sometime, and left it alone, its pH might have become too alkaline? ...meaning that alkaline drinks could be harmful? (of course it depends on how much alkaline ... our tap water is quite alkaline between pH 7 and pH 8, by the way)
The booch you are referring to is for Kombutcha right?

Kombucha yup. When it first starts out as a sweet solution there is a risk of contamination until it reaches a lower pH,then bad things can't grow.

well its pH is quite low at the moment, 1,5. I haven't fed it for sometime so it must have eaten all the available sugar

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Whats it taste like?
Acidic, not too strong though. However, if I use the process used to make Kombutcha with this, what comes out might not have the same properties of kombutcha or any special properties (even though it doesn't kill me), so I guess I'll throw it. Unless anyone has done it before and have any credible results to show, that is.

It may be mycodermia - basically a fungi skin (created by yeast and bacteria within the kefir). This is typically found on the surface that has been exposed to too much warmth and air. It's regarded as safe. I skim mine off and throw it in the compost.

Back