Water in St. Louis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
Wanted to check with my fellow STL brewers to see what you all do as far as water goes. I use tap water and have been quite happy with my results. That said, do any of you St. Louisans add anything to your tap water for brewing?

Im in ofallon and use straight tap water also. I think our tap water is some off the best tasting around.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Check the stlbrews website. They have had many discussions about our water. I use tap water all the time.

There is chloramine in the tap water. You should try to remove that with a charcoal filter or campden tablets. I used to use tap water, but got a few judges comments about astringency. I bought a RO water system and make salt additions to that. I think St. Louis tap water is good for many styles, but lighter lagers do better with softer water with fewer ions. When I did use tap water I liked to add some gypsum for hop forward beers.

Thanks for the responses! My beer of choice is typically an IPA, so I may have to look into the gypsum.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Back