Water High pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emart85

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to do my first AG batch this weekend... I was looking at the water report today, and it tells me that the water pH is 9.7. That seems relatively high to me - should I be concerned about my mash pH with my basic water? Should I add phosporic acid or something of the like to bring the water pH down, or is this really not much of a concern? Unfortunately, I don't have any test strips here at the house...

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

do your self a favor and click on the brew science topic , then check on threads on water profiles.

after learning an enlightening read i went for a water profile report from ward labs.

in my case i need to acidfy with a additive that won't increase the sulfates.

good luck

GD::mug:

Thanks guys for the help, I'll take this thread over to the science topic section... sounds like it's a little more appropriate there!

The pH of the tap water is a non-issue. Its the alkalinity that has a larger effect on mash pH.

That said, you dont have to bother with water pH, check your mash pH in mabrungard's calculator after setting all parameters (water, grain bill) and then adjust water.

Latest posts

Back