Water for NE IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chieftain

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to confirm that my water will suffice for a general NE IPA profile. I typically aim for 50-70 Ca, 50+ Na, 100/200 Sulfate to Chloride (and vice versa). I plugged it into Bru'n Water, and I think it works, it just may be hard to hit higher Sulfate levels without increasing Ca beyond my usual threshold.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200331-074820_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200331-074820_Drive.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 20
For the NEIPAs that I've tasted, they do seem to focus on promoting a mouthcoating perception. Many Bru'n Water users have indicated they like having 150 ppm Cl and 75 ppm SO4.

I like to mix it up. Tree House has said they aim for higher Sulfate than Chloride, for example.
Are you referring to this post on Twitter? If so, he is only explaining his additional not the ppm. We don’t know their starting water or if they are adjusting with other minerals from it.
9198024F-7479-4807-A63A-6E7DB0ACD057.png

Also you can adjust so4 levels with epsom salt (mgso4) I would just suggest if you use this to help boost the so4, still try to keep your mg ppm under 25-30. Elevated Mg can bring a harshness to the beer

I like to mix it up. Tree House has said they aim for higher Sulfate than Chloride, for example.
Monkish too. In a podcast Henry said they don't mess with their water much and the source water is naturally high in sulfate. He said they do sometimes add CaCl but it's more about the calcium, not chloride. Didn't sound like he thought chloride was very important.

My 2 cents is experiment with it. I don't think you need high chloride for mouthfeel, and you may find you like the taste better with higher sulfate. I'm still experimenting and won't declare my favorite water profile yet but I think the one I've used most is balanced, about 100 ppm of each.

Back