Water Filters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IloveWorts

Reaction score
Hello all, about to get a water filter soon. I live in Concord CA, the water report doesn't look bad to me but the brews definitely all have an odd taste and I think its my water. What I want to do is have a two stage filter, one having a 5 micron filter on it then the next one being an activated carbon filter. Im not too worried about brands but do you guys think this will help improve the taste of my water before I brew? Do i even need the 10 micron or should I use another....just looking to get opinions.

Prost

A two-stage filter usually seems like a good idea.

However, have you had your water tested? If not, can you find a site with the report from your water source and provide the link?

Have you tried using bottled water? Straight distilled / RO water should work for extract, but you would probably want filtered or spring water if you do a mash. If that makes your beer better than a nice filter would probably help a lot. If not, you might want to look at other sources of off flavors.

A two-stage filter usually seems like a good idea.

However, have you had your water tested? If not, can you find a site with the report from your water source and provide the link?

Have you tried using bottled water? Straight distilled / RO water should work for extract, but you would probably want filtered or spring water if you do a mash. If that makes your beer better than a nice filter would probably help a lot. If not, you might want to look at other sources of off flavors.
https://www.ccwater.com/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/284

Heres what ive got, its still a little over my head and the reports are old, although ive called and they said its very similar to each year. I figured filtering would only help. And I wanted to send off to samples to get them tested both prior to and after I filter them

You will need a special filter to remove chloramine from the water. A carbon filter may remove chlorine but chlorine can also be removed by letting you brew water sit overnight in a bucket. Chloramine and chlorine can be removed with the use of a Campden tablet. One Campden tablet will treat 20 gallons of water. Not sure what flavor fluoride adds to a beer or how it is removed.

Try using Campden for your next brew of a light yellow beer to see if the odd flavor is still there. If the flavor is still there it may be better to purchase RO or distilled water unless you're doing more than a hundred gallons a year.

Do you brew all grain or extract?

Crap this is exactly what I was worried about. I know my off flavors and this one has to be coming from my water. The water just doesn't taste right...best way to put it, both myself and my roommates and brew partner agree. I really dont think its that bad so I am thinking the double staged filter would be a good idea.

I do all grain with propane...I do treat with tablets. So im thinking it cant be chlorine because I do treat it well. Not sure what else it can be. I have excellent temp control fridge and can both heat and cool i ferment at 64 for 2-3 days then up to 66 then finish at 69-70 at the end. Beers taste good but they just are off slightly. Brewed a very light pale ale and a very very light cream ale and both have the same weird flavor

Add the right proportion of a Campden tablet to a gallon of water. Keep it in the frig for a couple of days before tasting. Don't use this water for brewing if it still has a flavor you don't like.

This is a great idea. I'm doing this tonight. My partner and I will be looking more into this issue and ways to improve and I will give updates. Its very hard to explain but id say it is like a sulfur aspect to it.

You can get a good RO system for about $150. Some are less but basically you get what you pay for. I bought a 4 stage from Bulk Reef Supply. They usually have a 10% off coupon floating around. You can also check out Buckeye Hydro. They are a member here. I think they have a 3 stage for a little over $100 but you have to pay shipping which I believe is under $20. You can also opt to get a RO system from eBay. Bunch under $100 which usually includes free shipping.

But, before you go spend money on a RO system, try using store bought distilled water or find one of those water machines either at Walmart or a grocery store and brew a batch with that water.

At least if you try that and the issue is eliminated then you know it's your water source and you can then decide if a RO system would work for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Add the right proportion of a Campden tablet to a gallon of water. Keep it in the frig for a couple of days before tasting. Don't use this water for brewing if it still has a flavor you don't like.
I did this, the water has an odd slick mouthfeel to it and just doesn't taste fresh. Even after the right amount of camden tablet. I got the filter and will be testing it soon

I lived in Concord for 18 years, my parents lived there for 60+ every time I would go to visit the water always tasted salty. The slick mouth feel is something else that was disturbing. What is the ph of the water?

Id agree with this. Ill have to double check when I get home. My beers also all seem to "taste the same" and are dull in flavor so thats why im thinking its my water. I wouldnt say slick its just "odd" when you pour it the water beads stay a very long time. ph is usualy 7-8 ill double check

The PH is high and needs to be treated to bring in down. Try one batch using water from your favorite store. The PH should be fine but check it and adjust it as required.

I installed a RO in my parents house, it did help but dad had a water softener that he was sold in the 50’s and insisted that it would fix everything. I had to tell him I pulled it off line 10 years before because it was leaking. Mom still filtered all their water thru a Britta even with the RO system.

Our ph in the bay area is really high.....sometimes up to 9.0.....and is hard to get tested as our main water supply comes primarily from hetch hetchy reservoir......but supposedly the water delivery system is being revamped and while being completed.....water sources are constantly changing......

In order to remove chloramines with a filter, you need a catalytic carbon filter. I use a simple block carbon filter with a little bit of campden tablet and I get excellent results. I live in Philadelphia which has a good mineral profile, but is heavily chlorinated with elemental chlorine and chloramine. This is my filter...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...as2&tag=brulosophy-20&linkId=QOXNNP2YTE2Q43F5

It comes with housing,filter,fittings, and short hose. I got some drinking water grade hose and hooked it up to exterior faucet... good to go. It's cheaper than RO and doesn't strip out the minerals. My unfiltered water pH is around 8, so i use a bit of 88% lactic acid in my mash and sparge water.

Back