Water filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check your municipal water table chart first and see what your water is like first. That filter will work just fine but you may need a different cartridge depending on your water. Different cartridges do different things. I bought one at Home Depot that has a clear housing and put a carbon cartridge in it. With a clear housing you can see if it's dirty or has water left in it before you store it. I would go with a clear housing personally but the one you picked will work.

Yep, I use mine with a carbon filter. I have a whole house filter on my well pump to handle any sediment.

2012-01-08_12-27-33_463.jpg

Also use a RV hose as I believe Hammy has pictured and not a garden hose. No need to invest in filtration and risk "garden hose" flavor. I just bought a RV hose at Lowes, 25' for 15 bucks.

Also use a RV hose as I believe Hammy has pictured and not a garden hose. No need to invest in filtration and risk "garden hose" flavor. I just bought a RV hose at Lowes, 25' for 15 bucks.

Yep, RV hose. Not only good for the beer, but my back as well. Buckets of water get heavy.... :mug:

I ordered the filter on amazon. $18 free shipping seemed like a good deal. Going to try and make it to lowes tomorrow for the rest of the stuff

I was thinking about putting one of these together. Question for y'all. My Brita filter says that you should not let it dry out. If I build one of these it will be for filtering water for brewing. Even if I brew once or twice a month, it will dry out in between. Is that a problem? What about a damp filter inside of a plastic housing and no water flushing through...is mold a problem?

I was looking at the faucet mounted filters but they are slow and expensive. I have a whole house sediment filter after the well pump and UV for disinfecting, but am having issues with iron bacteria getting through both of those. Trying to trace the cause of some off flavors lately and this is part of my search.

However you plumb your water just put the filter in line behind the valve you'll use. Then it will always be "under pressure".

Back