Water Cooler Jugs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamPag

Reaction score
Now I know this has been covered already, but I have a few water coolers in my office and MOST of the jugs are rated class 7, I just found one rated class 1 however which would be PET plastic, the same material as the better bottles. To sweeten the pot, it has a solid plastic handle, not the hollow handle which would make cleaning it a pain.

Is there ANY reason not to ferment in a water cooler jug thats rated class 1?

umm If im getting the green light from Revvy then im doing it. The handle is actually plastic mold fitted in, it doesnt even penetrate into the jug, so clutch

IMAG0018.jpg

Oh, btw, the epic win is that the deposit on the bottles is only $5 sooo in comparison to the $25 id drop on a better bottle, Beer Team Go.

I use two of these, myself. Great find. About a fifth the price of a similarly sized Better Bottle. :mug:

I have read discussions about jugs like this before and have heard of negative results with the bottles cracking during fermentation. Anyone have any experience using these bottles?

I have basically the same water bottle sans the handle. That is nice though. I use a #10 stopper.

What would cause a bottle to crack during fermentation? It never gets outrageously hot or cold nor does it change temperature rapidly, as long as it can vent enough gas, it should never over pressurize either.

Back